Just got my spree yesterday!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Emergency Pete
Noob
Noob

Just got my spree yesterday!

Post by Emergency Pete »

So my boss had a spree sitting in his garage for the longest time. I kept asking (for about a year now) to buy it. He said it was his sons and i'd have to talk to him. so I did. I told him to give me a price... he didn't, so finally after about 4 weeks my boss wanted it out of his garage and his son was there so we set a price and i drove it home. (my hands were freezing.) $200 later and its in my garage. :D

the clean up

and now..

Runs great no problems... yet.

I took it out today. It was snowing. i almost fell. I put it back in the garage. the end till the snow stops.

it's my first so i'm excited.
scoot
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

sweet scoot dude. :wink: couple things i notice from the pics it looks like a 84. 85 muffler, so thats good. even have the petcock cover thats a rare item :D over all....looks good. let us know what kind of speed u get out of it. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

its allot nicer then my first...
It seems like winter is the time were ever one first gets there bike.

Welcome to the site. It looks like it is really complete spree. Nice job on the cheap price.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Emergency Pete
Noob
Noob

Post by Emergency Pete »

thanks guys! it does 30 no faster.

I looked up DMV website and I don't need a title for it which is good cause I don't have one.

other then that I was reading some stuff about muffler drilling... but I don't have the iowa so I don't know if that's aplicable. I don't know how much faster then 30 i want to do yet anyway.

other then that I have some tire rot in the rear from sitting so I should probably get a new one.

any ideas on where?
scoot
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Emergency Pete wrote:other then that I have some tire rot in the rear from sitting so I should probably get a new one.

any ideas on where?
I bought a pair of Cheng Shin C917's from Tires Unlimited. Make sure they're size 2.50-10. Any larger, and you might have fit issues on the Spree. They also have C800, which look like the ones you have right now and I think those are what Honda shipped on your Spree. These are tube-type tires, it's up to you if you want to replace the tubes or not, but I did since I was replacing the tires anyway.

The only other things I'd tell you are make sure there is a properly oiled air filter installed, and make sure the bolt that holds the oil pump on doesn't get loose. You can get a brand new air filter element from any Honda PowerSports dealer for about $4, and the bolt that holds the oiler on tends to loosen itself, which results in not enough oil getting to the motor (very bad thing). Smoke is good, no smoke is bad.

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Replace the filter if its not 1/2 an inch thick, they rot out and cause problems if they get flat.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Emergency Pete
Noob
Noob

Post by Emergency Pete »

ok cool. I checked the filter and it has oil and is not dry. It feels like a sponge. the oil nut is fine but thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably change the tire and the tube at the same time.. i want it to be as sturdy as it can be...

btw, how much does it hurt falling off at 30 mph?
scoot
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Depends on the surface your driving on and if your wearing a full face helmet or not. My 200lb * wasnt shaken that bad when I dumped it in the frontyard at 20. However you will most definitely bend/break your turn signals.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Emergency Pete wrote:ok cool. I checked the filter and it has oil and is not dry. It feels like a sponge. the oil nut is fine but thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably change the tire and the tube at the same time.. i want it to be as sturdy as it can be...

btw, how much does it hurt falling off at 30 mph?
Take it from a man who has crashed many many times, No matter what speed 20+mph, no matter what surface, no matter what gear. It hurts some.

i crashed my 92 elite at about 30mph on a gravel road. Shorts, t-shirt, and a crazy full faced helmet. hit, slid, rolled, It was fun but my body got cut up real bad, but besides the cuts, didnt hurt to much.

I crashed my 97 sundiro riding a wheelie though town at about 30mph. (went off backwards) Dressed the same, Less cuts, but the road rash hurt long after the crash. and i busted the front of my helmet.

I crashed my 92 elite trail riding, only about 20mph. i was being stupid and flinging the back end every witch way, clipped a small tree and it sent me flying into a large tree. This is the only one were i was dressed better, thinker hoodie, pants, shoes. This one was the worst pain.
I was black and blue from my chest down to my knees.

That question really depends how well you can handle pain. Most crashes i have been in didn't hurt to bad. Most of them are brief pain, or little pain later on. So not so bad.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:its allot nicer then my first...
It seems like winter is the time were ever one first gets there bike.

Welcome to the site. It looks like it is really complete spree. Nice job on the cheap price.
Woah mann! Decent lookin jog, * happened to it?? I know you've mentioned it before but I never really heard the story on it, details plz
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i was going to buy my first moped from my friend Dallas for like 100$ or so, when my friend josh walked by and said "i got one you can have for 25$"
One thing turned to the next and i had this bad boy sitting in my gauge in a week.
It was a junker, i got it to have fun. It was before i knew anything of mopeds or scooters or anything. How you see it in that picture is how it was. It did like 40mph and got there d*** fast.
I rode the s*** of of this thing and this thing kept on pushing. I only wish i would have known how good it really was. All my friends jumped on it and went were ever. It was fun as *. I wish i still had it today.

Like every kid with a new toy, i rode the * out of it, Ran it for hours on end wide open. To be fair, i really don't know what ever caused it to stop running. (my guess is the rings were shot). One day it died on me. the kick started just skipped about every other kick, but i couldn't get any kick to work. so i pushed it behind my shed. and there it sat.
One day my step dad and the bright idea of checking to see if the rings were bad, we tore off the cylinder, pistion, and left the crank open while we looked for parts online. it rained. It was all full of water. So we just kinda gave up
[you got to remember i payed 20$ for this mystery moped. that i thought was crap}
Some one else in my town had one with no body. So stacked all the parts i had on the frame and rolled it over to his house. As far as i know its still in his back yard. I think come spring i might try to get it back.

360 View of this bad boy in its prime
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

The gas cape was the bottom part off of a carb (caped) upside down. With a hammer it fit on there perfect.

The seat had been redone with a honda leather.

If you took the tape off of the front it would fall apart.

The kicker spring failed. you had to lift it with your foot.

The monster can was v3 of my homemade air filter. It worked perfect.

The rear rack looked kinda weird so i ripped it off. A few screws later the dumby tail light was on. With the outdated sticker it almost looked legal. :lol:
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Emergency Pete
Noob
Noob

Post by Emergency Pete »

hey guys, thanks for taking over my thread :roll:
scoot
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Sorry dude. Every one please back to topic.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Emergency Pete
Noob
Noob

Post by Emergency Pete »

thanks so,

my scoot wasnt starting. but the fuel level said just above empty and there was a little in the tank. but i still figured it was the fuel so I went to the gas station and got 1(one) gallon of gas. it cost me $3.49. I put in half of it and filled the tank. HALF ! and then it started right up. WOO! then i rode it up and down my driveway for like 10 minutes till my hands got really cold.

anyway, I have a question. If i leave the scoot on RUN but the key is off, does it still drain the batt? I feel like it does.
scoot