What's Up with Michigan and Sprees?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

illuminance
Noob
Noob

What's Up with Michigan and Sprees?

Post by illuminance »

I have owned numerous Sprees, and when I see them locally, I often grab them and part them out (the non-runners, that is). I have sold hundreds of Spree parts over the years, and am amazed at how many of them go to Michigan. Even on this forum, a disproportionate number of members are from MI. How did Sprees get so popular in MI? Did Honda sell them for twelve dollars or something in the state? The weather is so non-scooter-friendly so many months out of the year it really surprises me. It also is the big American car mfg state...

So what is the reason?
(Full disclosure...I was born in Livonia, but moved to California at age 5).

illuminance
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

it just that alot of michigan people are on are site, not that there is that many more here
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

these frickin gas prices keep going up, u will c more and more sprees. lol :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

IME we tend to be pack rats, i know a LOT of people up here that have old cars,bikes snowmobiles etc etc stashed away in the back of the barn/garage.

i used to work with a guy that had a plymouth hemicuda (he bought it new) sitting in the back of his pole barn with a tarp over it. He cant afford to drive it, but he would rather cut off an arm than sell it.

my sister also has a 1979 camaro rs ( her first new car ) its been in storage for at least 15-20 years. its more or less a basket case but again she refuses to sell it.

then there is my parents, they own (and still occasionally drive) their 1979 f-100 pickup and a 1979 pontiac bonneville, despite having much newer and more efficient fehicles. The reason they dont sell? Well nobody wants to pay what their worth, both are in mint condition and under 80k original miles.
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

chevyguyjay wrote:these frickin gas prices keep going up, u will c more and more sprees. lol :wink:
oh yea thats another reason :D
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Theres a college around every corner and sprees are a good way to get around.

I have been messing with one for about 6 month, Wife works at the college and wants to take that versus the other honda which is a civic. Free to park at school along with the bicycles. which at a big school is a lot of $$ to park your car.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

You dont need insurance..you dont need a cycle license since ..and i never seen a scoot get pulled over..
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

berreta22 wrote:You dont need insurance..you dont need a cycle license since ..and i never seen a scoot get pulled over..
its all about were you live too. I rode my elite everywhere. All sorts of citys and towns.
One day me and mark rode into ''three oaks''. Didnt make it 30 feet into town before we got pulled over. Turns out that there is a few mopeders in that town that tear that place up. So the cops are real * to moped riders there.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

here in fraser cops are D***s and will pull a moped over for what ever they can
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

berreta22 wrote: i never seen a scoot get pulled over..
i have but the idiot was asking for it, no registrtion sticker or a helmet.

:roll: