lol....i want all of your opinion!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

lol....i want all of your opinion!

Post by chevyguyjay »

lol, heres something im ganna do. never did one before. im ganna build a 85 spree engine using ALL used parts. everything down to the used crank seals and crank bearings. ill still make some gaskets, but im even ganna use the old head gasket. used piston rings, everything. i think i have a good chance in getting the engine to run......but how good.........i dont even know. :?
~2004 Geely Fashion~
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

we have did that before but normally i don't work out too well
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Port the exhaust, shave the head and port the intake manifold while your in there. I recomend you at least buy new rings and hone the jug.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

oh no....all used. i might give the cylinder a quick hone. that all. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Well port it out and see what happens seeing as its a "junk" motor.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

what is the point of this half-assness?? :?
projects galore :nerd:
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

I Blew up my bike..2nd time..so i bought used rings and piston and jug..had 2300 miles on it..slapped it all together and runs great. Got 32 mph with it..now i get 25..im sure my 285 lb butt isnt helping matters any but thats my story.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

all my point is, is that i never put engines together with all used stuff. im sure others on here have, and wanted to c what the results were. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I personally dont see the logic, wether it works or not its gonna be a pos and wont last. In that aspect, this seems like a waste of time..

but to each his own i guess
projects galore :nerd:
greg_bingham
BMX
BMX

Post by greg_bingham »

do it.

half-assing is it's own reward, and these aren't exactly F1 engines, are they?

just give that jug a scuff, slap it together and see what happens? whats the worst that could happen? air leak, crank bearing seizes, crank twists, rod bends breaks snd shoots through the cases..

oh wait a minute this isn't a jetski..

it'll likely run slow, maybe run lean and seize.. more likely it will run EXACTLY like it would have if you'd thrown all new parts at it.

i've rigged ski motors together in this fashion (with a strict 'not responsible if it blows' understainding) for people and they ran like a champ..

you're just eliminating the likelihood of leaks and such with new parts. the old ones may work just as well..
**party till you barf**
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

berreta22 wrote:I Blew up my bike..2nd time..so i bought used rings and piston and jug..had 2300 miles on it..slapped it all together and runs great. Got 32 mph with it..now i get 25..im sure my 285 lb butt isnt helping matters any but thats my story.
I forgot to mention i didnt even use head or jug base gaskets either. Considering how easy it is to rebuild one, thats why i half assed mine..now if it was a 2 day project..well * i still might have done it..its neat to see how used parts that didnt wear together work together.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I don't see a difference between building a scooter from used parts and cleaning up a used scooter and getting it running. The parts in either case are used.

All my scoots are used and run great, well except for my Spree that I screwed up. :roll: :lol:
greg_bingham
BMX
BMX

Post by greg_bingham »

the difference is he's proposing to build a unit with gaskets that have been compromised by deing dis-and re- assembled (subjected to compression) versus a unit that has been 'run-in' components wearing together... with gaskets that were fresh when installed...

greg
**party till you barf**
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

greg_bingham wrote:the difference is he's proposing to build a unit with gaskets that have been compromised by deing dis-and re- assembled (subjected to compression) versus a unit that has been 'run-in' components wearing together... with gaskets that were fresh when installed...

greg
Yeah, just like some of my scoots.