Commuter scooters

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

danmdevries
BMX
BMX

Commuter scooters

Post by danmdevries »

How many of you commute with your scooter and how far do you ride?

I've replaced my motorcycle with a scooter, and will be riding about 200-250 miles per week all summer (if I can maintain half scoot, half car). After today, riding 45 miles I was wondering if it's safe for the engine to be spinning at full speed for long periods of time I know I wouldn't get in my car and run it up to redline and drive 45 miles, so should I be worried about my scooter?

BTW it's an 04 Kymco ZX50/ Honda DIO engine with 70cc airsal cyl, 19mm arreche carb and technigas exhaust.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

the bike can take it. But the bore kit will not last as long as the stock cylinder.
Bore kits also are not ment for WOT for long time periods. Stay your top speed is 60mph. Just cruse at 50mph or so. A little less will help the bore kit last longer.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Should be fine, if you wanna be extra safe set it a little rich and make a air scoop for the cooling fan.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
danmdevries
BMX
BMX

Post by danmdevries »

My top speed is 38, I still have a restricted CDI

The fastest I ever need to go on my commutes are two roads for about two miles each at 45mph but I can't do it yet. After that everything's 25-35mph speed limits.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I live 4 miles from work and come home for lunch every day, so about 16 miles a day, most of it at WOT. I've put over 1000 miles on my 1985 Spree since I got it last summer, and it runs better now than it did then. I use about a gallon of gas a week.

-aseigler
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

danmdevries wrote:My top speed is 38, I still have a restricted CDI

The fastest I ever need to go on my commutes are two roads for about two miles each at 45mph but I can't do it yet. After that everything's 25-35mph speed limits.
wait. Does your bike have stock gears?

dude. Dump those and get some 8.44:1 gears. Your top speed will jump to 55mph+

And It makes it allot easyer on the motor too.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
danmdevries
BMX
BMX

Post by danmdevries »

Dac wrote:

I haven't any clue where to get a gear kit for it. I'm not sure if it would be the same as the Honda or if it's Kymco specific?? Any ideas?

This is my first scooter, I've owned several motorcycles, but I've never owned or worked on a scooter before this, so finding parts and suppliers isn't easy for me yet.

I have changed the weights in the variator and the torque/clutch springs, but that was all I did for gearing.

It wasn't until I found out that the ZX50 uses the same engine as the Elite 50 that I started digging around and found this site. Now that I know this, I know there's a whole world of possibilities now.
Last edited by danmdevries on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

VTCycles
They carry all sorts of stuff. There awesome. Sites kinda out of date, just call them up and talk to them. Tell them your set up and they will help you pick up the right gears. ( 8.44:1 )

Yeah, a dio motor is a dio motor.
There is also a guide i made on how to install the gears in the advance tech documents.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
danmdevries
BMX
BMX

Post by danmdevries »

Sweet, thanks I'll check them out.
2004 Kymco ZX50
70cc kit, 19mm carb, chambered exhaust
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Just change your gear ratio and vt cycles also sells high speed cooling fans along with center spring race bearings which i bought the last ones, that trick you guys don't know about LOL!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

stillspeeding wrote:Just change your gear ratio and vt cycles also sells high speed cooling fans along with center spring race bearings which i bought the last ones, that trick you guys don't know about LOL!
yeah, ...lol...
GO THE F*** AWAY!

( for the new dude that dont know. Stillspeeding just shows up and talks trash. People say he knows what he is talking about, but he never helps. Just skip reading his post. )
1991--------Tomos Targa-
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Dac wrote:

How would those gears do with a stock bike(as in 98 Elite S)?

How bad would it affect acceleration if it is and would work well? Just wondering as I don't have the money for the bore kit yet and would like to get 45-50mph+ and am just curious if the stock engine could do higher speed gears.