A Few Questions from a Newbie

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Karman
Goped
Goped

A Few Questions from a Newbie

Post by Karman »

I own an '84 Aero 50 (NB50M) that I purchased back in '89 to take to college. I've decided to bring it out of 15 year storage and get it going again as I can use it for my commute.

As I scan ebay and other places for parts (like a new petcock) I'm wondering what the differences are between the Spree, the later '85+ NB50 and my '83-'84 NB50M. Parts seem to be more widely available for the Spree and NB50 - are there any common parts between them and my NB50M?

I have a few issues to work out before I'm road worthy again:

1. Petcock - I think I've got mine unstuck, but I would like to get a new one just for good measure. I've seen them listed on the 'bay for both the Spree and NB50 - are they all the same for the three models? Mine has the vaccum port pointing straight down (different from the auction photos).

2. Tires - I need to replace both. My local Honda dealer was clueless when I gave him the size (2.75x10). He said it would probably be an 80/90 10 now, and even then he didn't have them in stock. Where does everyone go for tires?

3. Exhaust mount - This happened back when I was riding it regularly - The muffler is held on with two 10mm nuts at the head and a single bolt that goes through a mount in the engine case. The part of the engine case that functions as the mount for the muffler broke off. (I noticed that later scooters have 2 mounts instead of just one) Can the case be tig welded or are there any other options in replacing it? I'm guessing that replacing that part of the case would involve an entire engine rebuild...

4. Wheels - are the NB50M wheels the same as the Spree or other models? Mine have gotten pretty rusty and I would almost rather replace them than refinish them. My tire size is different from the Spree, so I'm guessing the wheel is also.

5. Brakes - the front brake is stuck (probably rusted). I haven't pulled them off yet but I'm wondering what I'm in for. Does the inside hub of the wheel function as the brake drum? And would shoes from a Spree or regular NB50 likely be the same as the NB50M?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

For petcock, get an oem one from honda/ebay other online store $30-40 if you want a new one. I'd likely guess a spree one should work, and doesnt really matter what angle vauum port is, as long as its there.

For tires, recent thread posted here:
http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5152

For exhaust mount.. Tig welding will not work, if the aero cases are same as current scooters its an aluminum crankcase so you need someone who knows aluminum welding. I've had that mount break on my Zip stroker and after doing some serious searching found a local aluminum welder, dropped the case and took it to him to have it welded.

Not sure bout wheels..

Yes inside of brakes function as the drum, common on all drum based scooters. Your springs holding the brakes off have probably gotten outstretched and are locking up, also fairly common.
projects galore :nerd:
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

spree rims and brakes will not work for your bike
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Tires are available, your dealer is just an idiot. Call another shop or order online.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

I made some progress last night, but I'm not there yet. I got it running (and fogged for mosquitos at the same time) but still have issues.

Petcock I freed up the petcock and it works great now, but I'm not getting enough vacuum at startup to move any fuel through it. I can put the smallest amount of suction on it manually and fuel shoots right out, but there isn't anything vacuum-wise coming through the port on the intake. I can suck and blow through the intake freely, so its not clogged. Anyone have any ideas? I can start the scooter with a shot of starter fluid, and once its running the petcock gets enough vacuum to work. I'm stumped on this one.

Tires I tried Cyclegear as mentioned in the other thread but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone after three tries (the tires weren't listed on their site). So I ordered tires and tubes from Tires Unlimited. They should be here in a few days.

Throttle Cable When I got it started it was racing and just about jumped out from under me. The cable was binding and as it turns out was separated from the cap underneath the rubber boot at the carb. I inserted the metal end back into the cap at the carb and had to adjust it all the way out up at the handlebars to get it to work right. I'm in need of a new one and have one on order from my dealer. Glad it wasn't discontinued...