Helmets

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Helmets

Post by peter1sp »

I need to get a helmet for my 86' spree. Does anyone wear them? If so are there any brands to stay away from or highly reccommended? Thanks. I'd love some feedback.
Consumerangst
Noob
Noob

Post by Consumerangst »

I plan to never get a helmet since if i die on the moped it will be the funniest story ever
prostreet
Noob
Noob

helmet

Post by prostreet »

please wear a helmet do to being A SMART * KID MY SELF WHEN I WAS YOUNG i didnt want to wear one eather and now i have a mesed up brain almost like a brain stroke due to a wreck so please wear a helmet
mark
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

i got a helment from 1970 older then the spree lol
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
Sparrow
BMX
BMX

Post by Sparrow »

I ordered my helmet from our Harley Davidson store. They loved the fact that I walked in their store bragging about my 1986 Spree and that I wanted a "bad-*" helmet for it. I ended up just ordering a half shell white helmet that he said is the basic one for for moped users. The brand name is three letters and starts with a D, but I can't think of it right now. They tried to talk me into getting one with spikes on the chin strap because I would look so tough, but I backed out of that.
If you go on Ebay and look up scooter helmets, there are a bunch of them on there.
Be sure to wear a helmet. Going 30 MPH with nothing between your skull and the pavement may not sound like much of a big deal to you, but you won't get back up after being launched off your scooter without one! :!: :!: :!:
1986 Special Edition Spree...very girly.
1976 Chevy Nova.....very granny
2000 Chevy Tahoe....my girly truck
2003 Subaru Forester....hubby's sporty snow smasher
prostreet
Noob
Noob

helmet

Post by prostreet »

on ebay type in (vega helmet) there in all colors and farly priced
mark
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Snell vs. Dot

Post by peter1sp »

Should I be worrying about the Snell ratings at 30 mph or do you all think that a DOT rated helmet would be sufficient. I think it would be hilarious to get a little half shell and a pair of aviator goggles, but I don't want something that isn't going to do jack if I get in a crash.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

Sparrow wrote:I ordered my helmet from our Harley Davidson store. They loved the fact that I walked in their store bragging about my 1986 Spree and that I wanted a "bad-a.." helmet for it. I ended up just ordering a half shell white helmet that he said is the basic one for for moped users. The brand name is three letters and starts with a D, but I can't think of it right now. They tried to talk me into getting one with spikes on the chin strap because I would look so tough, but I backed out of that.
If you go on Ebay and look up scooter helmets, there are a bunch of them on there.
Be sure to wear a helmet. Going 30 MPH with nothing between your skull and the pavement may not sound like much of a big deal to you, but you won't get back up after being launched off your scooter without one! :!: :!: :!:
were the 3 letters d.o.t? because that just means it is government approved. not that it matters or anyone cares. i dont know why i even wrote this.lol.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: helmet

Post by burnt_toast »

prostreet wrote:on ebay type in (vega helmet) there in all colors and farly priced
yup, thats what i use on my vento. vega altura, looks like an icon but much cheaper. 8)
projects galore :nerd:
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

got mine used on Ebay. One thing to think about is cops will pull you over if you aren't wearing eye protection (which should be a no brainer anyway) so I got a full faceed helmet. Just so I don't have to search for my sunglasses or goggles when I want to ride.
Sparrow
BMX
BMX

Post by Sparrow »

I know it is a DOT rated helmet, but that's not the brand name. Come to think of it, it might start with a N......I don't know. Don't pay any attention to me. Just got to Ebay.
Wisconsin does not require you to wear a helmet if you are over 18 when it comes to mopeds. But if you're smart, you wear one anyways. :)
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

Ozzimo wrote:got mine used on Ebay. One thing to think about is cops will pull you over if you aren't wearing eye protection (which should be a no brainer anyway) so I got a full faceed helmet. Just so I don't have to search for my sunglasses or goggles when I want to ride.

What do you look like wearing a full face helmet on a Spree? Do you have any pics. Not trying to rag on you, but if I buy a helmet I want to make sure that it doesn't look completely ridiculous, or I know I will never wear it... On the other hand it can disguise your identity if you are riding past all the Sorority houses and thus spare you some emabarassment. Or rather secure yourself as the man of mystery on the cute little scooter haha.
1981 CM400 C... Former Rides: 1986 Honda NQ50
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

well truth be told, any dot helmet will make you look kinda lame. I had an open face that I got with the scooter but it made my head look huge! the full face is not only more evenly big but also keeps you from eating a bumble bee in the face. (Which can scare the * outta you I tell ya.)

Its a personal preferance thing, I suppose.
Sparrow
BMX
BMX

Post by Sparrow »

Well when your married and there's no need to impress anyone anymore, you can look like an idiot on your moped. As you get older, you learn that it doesn't matter as much because no one is looking at you anymore. Maybe I'll get a sticker that says "I'm hot under this helmet". :P
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

lol. as long as that avitar isnt your own pic.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx