First upgrade

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Elite1998
Spree
Spree

First upgrade

Post by Elite1998 »

Well called up vtcycles again tonight and am deciding upon what gears to pick for my stock bike(sa50 elite) hs pully will give me an 8 mph increase so I'd be at 43-46 mph..but I want to do gears to just to get the most speed out of this so the question is 10:1 or 9:1..The guy at vt said he has a friend who had a stock bike with only a high speed variator and 10:1 gears and he could hit 50-55mph so I wonder would 9:1 gearing give me 53-58ish? I'm just worried about take off and how bad it may become as the stock gears are 12 something.

BTW, when I decide(hopefully with some help) and order these parts and install them I will post my results.

So should I add some oil to the gas after this upgrade with the increase in speed or wouldn't it matter as the engine is still the same as before..well in a way?
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im running 8.44:1 gears in my bike now and im only getting about 50mph.
Those claims are off.

9:1 for sure. Unlike what they all say, the take off is still great. You got to remember, they build full on racing bikes. when they say something is slow, that means like fast to us. When they say something is fast, its to much for us.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Doesn't make sense though..if you still have good take off and the gears are only giving you about 5-8 mph why bother..the hs pully give 8 or so which leaves that 5-8 from the gears which would get you to get fifty..hmm you would think it would be more
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah, at first i thought they sent me the wrong gears or something.
but i did count it and it is roughly 8.4 clutch turns to one tire turn. So i guess it is 8.44:1.

I mean, i was always told that gears would kill the stock take off. But im running them now and the results are great. It really dont make since to me. If i had some spare cash i might even try 7:1. I mean *, with take off this good i can see myself going lower for more top end.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Elite1998 wrote:Doesn't make sense though..if you still have good take off and the gears are only giving you about 5-8 mph why bother..the hs pully give 8 or so which leaves that 5-8 from the gears which would get you to get fifty..hmm you would think it would be more
And you know this about the pulley for a fact? Dac is just giving you his realistic speeds which I'd believe over the claims you're saying about just the pulley. Realistically pully may net 3-4mph more if all else stock, not 8. Gains go up with other supporting mods.
projects galore :nerd:
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

The lowest a person should go on a stock bike is 9:1, 8.44:1 should be used on bore kit 72cc's and above as should 7:1 gearing if you want all all speed on that bore kit..this has got me confused on how your bike is accelerating just fine without a problem
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

burnt_toast wrote:
Elite1998 wrote:Doesn't make sense though..if you still have good take off and the gears are only giving you about 5-8 mph why bother..the hs pully give 8 or so which leaves that 5-8 from the gears which would get you to get fifty..hmm you would think it would be more
And you know this about the pulley for a fact? Dac is just giving you his realistic speeds which I'd believe over the claims you're saying about just the pulley. Realistically pully may net 3-4mph more if all else stock, not 8. Gains go up with other supporting mods.
I should have stated up to an 8 mph increase..it all depends on location, weather(mine is runs better in hot weather..pretty much the hotter it is the faster it goes, for example), overall engine efficiency, and weight of the rider
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

All I'm saying is you're making claims and downing others without knowing enough about what these mods realistically do.

The fact is you can get any gearing you want, and because elite has cvt you play with rollers and springs to compensate. There is a limit, but being a cvt you can tune a lot more than with fixed gears.
projects galore :nerd:
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Well I was just going off of what I was told from the guy I talked to a vtcycles and they know their stuff
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Elite1998 wrote:Well I was just going off of what I was told from the guy I talked to a vtcycles and they know their stuff
This is true. And i respect you for listen to them.

Im not sure why my info goes against theres. Maybe cuz im such a big guy thats why my bike is not crazy insane fast. I know if i let my 95 pound friend on it he can get insane speeds. But i know not everyone is that small so i go off the speeds i get.

I know one thing for a fact. They do not know what they are talking about when it comes to "killing the stock take off"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tz6ODlSLgB4
This look like bad take off to you?

(I can normally can pin it out all the way, but that d*** road was bumpy as *. I could have got another video if i known i didnt totally top it out, but by the time i started editing the video it was raining out. )
Ill get another better video soon. But at least this gets the point across.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

Dac - are you running the stock carb and muffler? If so, which main jet?
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Post by monkeywrench »

here is my speed with all stock with high speed variator out of a china scooter. ha free speed
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Karman wrote:Dac - are you running the stock carb and muffler? If so, which main jet?
yeah, stock carb and stock pipe (not even drilled).
im unsure of the jet. Its like a 88 or maybe even a 95. Its a 65 drilled. But i have 2 of them that got mixed up. im not sure what is even in there. Runs good thought and its not lean.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

d*** dude!! Acceleration is very very similar to stock..up until around 40 mph..very nice scoot dac

I'll post what I get when I get my stuff. Don't have a video recorder though, sadley.
Honda Elite SA50-S

average 85 mpg
fastgtp99
Goped
Goped

Post by fastgtp99 »

okay! this is what i dont get at all. I have a 94 elite and i just put a hsp, 72cc bore kit, 9:1 gears, clutch spring, all stock mods replaces, and took most of the stuff out of the stock pipe. plus have 9g and 10g weights up front, still running the stock carb and drilled the jet out usong a 1.01mm bit. stock size was 68 and gps was 48mph. you guys are saying with just a couple simply mods they will do 50 to 60. i dont get it. If i am doing something wrong and somebody is willing to meet up and show me that would beong freakin great. dont get me wrong it is way more impressive than when i got it but i need more. Any advise would help this forum help me (a rookie) build my bike. Thanks for all your help!!!!!