What's your cold (and hot) starting procedure?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

What's your cold (and hot) starting procedure?

Post by Scooterspal »

I find I cannot start my Spree unless I twist the throttle about 1/4 of the way, hold it and hit the start switch. Trying to start with the throttle closed per the manual and it will never start.

Is this an indication I have some issues or is this fairly common for a cold start?

How do you folks start off?
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

For both cold and warm start on my elite I slightly open the throttle and it starts right up cold. Sometimes it takes a little longer warm but still not much problem
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

These things are small so less than a thou inch can give it a completely different personality. For mine with the way the carb is set up (bystarter is out of whack cause im a dumbass) I start it at idle and rev it a few times on the stand, after that it runs alright.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

My Elite will start right up in one kick cold, but when its hot it takes 2 or 3
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

will start if i give it some throttle when pushing the ignition. otherwise when warm it starts right up.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i took the choke off mine. so usually i spray the air filter with a little carb cleaner, hold the throttle 1/4 open and starts right up. If its warm it starts fine. Sometimes if its a warm day i can just start it without the carb cleaner if i leave the throttle closed
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

PimpinSpree wrote:i took the choke off mine. so usually i spray the air filter with a little carb cleaner, hold the throttle 1/4 open and starts right up. If its warm it starts fine. Sometimes if its a warm day i can just start it without the carb cleaner if i leave the throttle closed
If you remove the bystarter you gotta ill in the hole with jb weld.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
PimpinSpree wrote:i took the choke off mine. so usually i spray the air filter with a little carb cleaner, hold the throttle 1/4 open and starts right up. If its warm it starts fine. Sometimes if its a warm day i can just start it without the carb cleaner if i leave the throttle closed
If you remove the bystarter you gotta ill in the hole with jb weld.
yup or you will run lean
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i cut the needle off and stuck it back on
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

i usually twist the throttle about half way or so and just hit the button/kick start. fires up every time, cold or hot.

sprees dont have fuel injection, so just like passenger vehicles w/o injection.
giving it some gas when ya start em isnt all that unusual or necessarily a bad thing.