Hose pointing down from rear of carb on 85 spree?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Hose pointing down from rear of carb on 85 spree?

Post by Scooterspal »

I was looking under my Spree this AM and I noticed a piece of clear hose hanging from behind the carb. When I lifted up on it I could see it was not connected. Seems to be coming from in back somewhere up on top of the carb.

Is this suppose to be connected somewhere? There is a port under the card
that it will reach and is the correct size. No way this came off on it's own.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Its the carb's fuel drain hose. If you unscrew the bottom screw on the carb, gas will drain out that hose.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Fixed.
Cubey wrote:Its the carb's fuel drain hose. If you unscrew the bottom screw on the carb, gas will drain out from where that hose should be connected.
-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

OK. The hose comes out somewhere around the middle of the back of the carb and hangs down.

But, there is this port maybe 1/2" long at the back corner of the carb facing down at the point where the bowl is bolted up that looks like a hose should be connected to it.

What is this port for?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

If you ever need to drain the gas out of the carb, for instance if you're storing the bike, bringing it indoors, or transporting it in a vehicle, you turn that bottom screw out and all the gas drains out.

-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I understand about the gas draining out but I'm not sure I understand why there seem to be these TWO ports.

One at the back, middle part of the carb with the 6" of hose coming off it and the other port facing down towards the ground at the point where the bowl is screwed on to the bottom of the carb.

If the one with the hose higher up is for draining the gas... what is the bottom port (no hose attached on mine) used for?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Ah, ok, I think I understand what you're talking about now. The one on the bottom is the drain, it should have the hose on it. The upper one is for overflow, that is, if the carb malfunctions and gets too much gas in the bowl, the gas will pour out that upper port. Usually that port does not have a hose on it, but it can't hurt anything to have one there.

-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

That makes more sense.

Now, here is my problem. When I saw that the hose was only connected to this middle port and not to the port on the bottom I connected it to the port on the bottom.

When I tried to start the Spree it started right up with no throttle twist... ran quite fast and then died after a few seconds. Did this over and over.

I now have the hose disconnected and, as of this AM, it would not start at all even with twisting the throttle... my usual method to start.

Did I do something to the carb (flood the heck out of it) by making this "loop" with the hose?

Is so, what can I do?

Thanks for the help on this.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Is there any gas in the bowl? Sounds like you ran it out of fuel somehow.

-aseigler
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I will have to see when I get home. Can you tell me how to check this?