question on registering a scooter in mi to redo in pa

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

turbod16v
Noob
Noob

question on registering a scooter in mi to redo in pa

Post by turbod16v »

hello
I'm am the new owner of a 1986 spree that I can't wait to start riding backand forth to work but unfortunatley i live in pa and i need a title to register it first. the fellow i bought it from has no title of course.
so my dad who lives in michigan is going to see what he can do for me once he gets back from vacation.
for what i am understanding so far. if it gets registerd in michigan and sold to someone in pa then pa must take that as legal paper work and register it. true?

now to register it in michigan you just need a bill of sale from someone,anybody, the pope or hulk hogan,someone besides yourself, to the buyer and thats legit to MI DMV. bill of sale does not need to be from previouse registered owner. true?

the spree is originally from MI also,my dad seams to think you need to know who the owner was in MI to be able to sell it to someone again in mi?
any help in this matter would be great.
i'm researching both states DMV's but with all the tech talk i want to hear from some with experiance.
thanks guys!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Call your DMV/SOS and ask.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

when i purchased my spree it had not been registered in over 20 years.
all i had was a bill of sale with the serial number on it .

i took that over to the michigan sec of state, they did a title search ON THE SPOT (found none) and then issued me a new one right then and there. i then shelled out my $43 dollars and i was totaly legit with a fresh leal title.

no muss no fuss it was insanely easy and trouble free.
turbod16v
Noob
Noob

Post by turbod16v »

sweet thanks man. thats what i was wanting to hear.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

po89mm, you got screwed. Mopeds in Michigan dont have titles. Never did, only counrty of origin slips when bought new. My Spree was never titled, went to SOS and they checked the vins and gave me my moped sticker for $15. If you got a "Tiltle" not a "Registation/Title" then it might be clasified as a motorcycle. :D
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

Gamemedic wrote:po89mm, you got screwed. Mopeds in Michigan dont have titles. Never did, only counrty of origin slips when bought new. My Spree was never titled, went to SOS and they checked the vins and gave me my moped sticker for $15. If you got a "Tiltle" not a "Registration/Title" then it might be classified as a motorcycle. :D
i sure hope not :shock:

the title of the document reads " application to register a moped" so i suppose its not a title title per say... :oops:

but id imagine since its an official state document it would suffice as such for out of staters. ( pure speculation on my part though)
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Okay, so apparently I got screwed. Have you guys ever bought mopeds in MI and not had a title for it? How do you go about that. Apparently the law in Ohio won't allow me to register my scoot. Here is the response I got when I submitted a question about how to register my Aero
Allow me to start by saying it is illegal in Ohio to sell a vehicle
without title. IF it is a vehicle that needs to be titled, and the
seller did not provide you one, you will be required to obtain a court
order. You will need to take all your documentation to your County
Common Pleas Court to obtain a court order for a title in your name.
Your County├óÔé¼Ôäós Common Pleas Court or your attorney can advise you on
how to proceed with their procedures. 4505.10 states in part; If the
registrar finds the evidence insufficient, the applicant may petition
the court of common pleas for a court order, ordering the clerk to issue
a certificate of title. The court shall grant or deny the petition
based on the records in the office of the clerk involved, there appears
to be any lien on the motor vehicle, the certificate of title shall
contain a statement of the lien unless the application is accompanied by
proper evidence of its extinction.
It is possible due to it's size it may not carry a title in which case
it also cannot be registered and cannot be operated on any public lands.
So it looks like I might have to get it registered in MI first, at least to get some type of document that works as a "title" in Ohio. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do this? I know I need the VIN, but do I need to take it in for an examination to make sure it's road worthy? I really don't want to go through the trouble of dealing with the courts, especially if it has to go to the freaking Court of Appeals. That's just insanity. Hopefully my uncle who lives in MI can do it for me, but I'll have to give him every bit of info possible because he isn't going to want to spend a whole lot of time doing it, you know?
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

Are you sure that you even need a title for it? In my state you don't need a title for 50cc and below. They will give you one if you want one, but its not needed.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

yeah in Ohio scooters are considered motorcycles. you need a class M license, plates and the whole deal. it's a bummer.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

well if the state your buying from does not issure titles in the first place all that heavy handed stuff wont do squat. cant squeeze blood from a rock and all that.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

they do issue titles, just not illegally and since the guy i got it from doesn't have a title to transfer to me, they won't get me a new one.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree