My '87 Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Magnus213
Noob
Noob

My '87 Spree

Post by Magnus213 »

Hello fellow Spree crazies, I'm new to the forum but not new to riding my Spree. I figured instead of being a typical "n00b" and starting my time here by asking some irritating, over-asked question, that I'd share some pictures of my Spree because hey, pictures are exciting.

A little (or a lot) about it: 1987 model year, I've owned it for about three years now. It previously belonged to my friend's dad, so I had ridden it all summer when he decided to sell it. Instead of putting it in the paper for $600, he let me have it for only $200! For the past three years I've ridden it frequently in the summer and in good weather, but it doesn't run perfectly. It's never been able to idle, the starter motor no longer works, and the back tire... well, look at the pictures. I've been foolish to ride it as long as I have, and it finally blew out a couple days ago. By chance a buddy of mine had a wheel + tire and engine lying around, so I picked it up and have been wrenching on my Spree since. That's why it's not in running condition in the pictures.

Anyway, I've just ordered some brand new Dunlop K398's and I will be installing those when they arrive. I'm planning on switching out my starter motor with the unit from the spare motor I just picked up, and I'm not sure what to do about the idle. I guess the most obvious culprit would be the carb, but I'll have to do some research and build up confidence before trying to tackle that section.

My final consideration for really dressing up my Spree is some sort of simple spraycan paint job. If anyone here reads Sport Compact Car and saw their Subaru project car's paintjob, that's what I'll probably go for. They took flat-black spray paint and made it look like a stealth fighter. Here is my Spree as it sits today:

A slightly worn tire, then the same tire with the spare I picked up:

I look forward to spending time here and hopefully learning some new things and perhaps sharing my insight. After seeing the 90 MPH Spree (crazy!) in another thread I knew I was among experts/psychopaths.
HappyVal
Noob
Noob

Post by HappyVal »

Ooh.. the tire.. ouch! Looks like the rest of the bike is in great shape. You got a nice deal. Post some pictures when you get it painted and put back together again. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I'll second that, the engine looks to be in great condition. The plastics are very nice as well. It is going to make a great spree once you get it all together nicely. Looks GREAT!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

the no idle thing is common. happened to me for almost a year until i finally decided to clean and readjust my carb. you just have to play around with the right screws and it will idle. 8)
projects galore :nerd:
Magnus213
Noob
Noob

Post by Magnus213 »

burnt_toast wrote:the no idle thing is common. happened to me for almost a year until i finally decided to clean and readjust my carb. you just have to play around with the right screws and it will idle. 8)
Sounds good, that's next on my list of things to do.
1987 Spree, 2006 Scion tC