Honda Elite Log & Costs

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

nparks
Spree
Spree

Honda Elite Log & Costs

Post by nparks »

I'm going to keep a log on this forum about my scooter and all of it's mods. I bought the bike thinking it'd only need a CDI, but turns out the head was destroyed so my adventure began there. I purchased a 75cc Big Bore kit from eBay and a bunch of swag from VT Cycles.

Maybe this will help some noobs get an idea of what to buy and how much they should expect to pay for parts. Also what problems they should expect to encounter as I will most definitely face some problems as I go through with this. Mind you I have no prior mechanical knowledge other than the basics of how a 2-stroke works, so I myself am a noob. Each step will give an approximate time to complete the project in parenthesis if you \happen to have all of the tools and have the perfect working conditions (i.e. no gorilla glue used as a gasket).

Removing Restrictor Plate (10 mins)
Removing the restrictor plate was fairly easy the only problem was getting to it by removing the main bolt attached to the front pulley.

Installing [7.5:1] Gears (20 mins)
I installed the gears for my scooter. It should have took about 10 minutes since I all ready had the housing and such taken off, but I ran into a few problems. I unscrewed all of the bolts for the gear casing, but had the hardest time breaking the seal to get to the gears. It took me about 30 minutes of hitting it with a mallet and prying at it with a screwdriver.

Once I removed the casing the gasket was in great condition surprisingly. The smaller gear fell right off of the shaft, the bigger gear wouldn't come off so I had to get it pressed off. Luckily I have a friend who has a friend who works at an airport hangar who happened to have a 12 ton press.

The guy actually applied all 12 tons (24,000 lbs) of force to it and it wouldn't budge until we tried it about 4 times and finally the shaft came out. Pressing the new gear on was simple though.

Putting everything back together was fine. I wasn't quite sure where to put the oil for the gears so I filled it through the drain hole and plugged it with the oil plug.

Installing Intake, Carb & Throttle Cable (25 mins)
Intake and carb was a matter of just bolting it on. The throttle cable on the other hand was a pain in the * as the lever itself was nearly impossible to get the cable and enclosure back together and even fitting the throttle cable in the spring within the carb.

I had a problem starting the engine after installing the bore kit, but realized it was because I needed to adjust the air screw.

Installing Bore Kit (20 mins)
Installing the Bore Kit was fairly easy. The hardest part was probably getting the rings to fit on the piston and in the cylinder and getting the rod to go through the piston. Believe it or not using pliers it wasn't too hard to get the clips in.

Putting the exhaust on was a matter of just bolting it on.

Surprisingly enough the fan case fits around the 75cc head.

Parts List
* 28mm OKO Carb
* Intake Manifold
* 7.5:1 Gears
* V8 Exhaust Pipe
* KRS 75cc Big Bore Kit

Costs
$350.00 - 1994 Honda Elite SA50P
$130.14 - CDI
$22.50 - Split Throttle Cable
$370.00 - Carb / Intake / Gears / Exhaust
$144.99 - KRS 75CC
================================
$1017.63

WARNING
Don't be retarded like me and run the stock oil injector when breaking in the engine. Use a 50:1 solution in the tank, haha...
Last edited by nparks on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Beats paying more for a new 4 stroke.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

yea it can get expensive
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

mopedman wrote:yea it can get expensive
..and before you know it :shock: lol
projects galore :nerd:
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Yep. This is roughly my tally so far:

$500 for Spree
$80 in gas to go get it from Dallas
$37 battery
$13 carb gasket set
$15 air screw+spring (Hopefully will be getting that Tuesday. Until then, no riding. :cry: )
-----------
Total so far: $645'

Not counting consumables such as oil and a spark plug.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

dang i paid 80 bucks for my elite then bought some rings and variator and 200 dollar technigas pipe and some other odds and ends about 400 in it
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you got to think about it like this though, you will have a very nice elite.

Dont think about it like its an old beater, compare it to buying a new honda or chines crap. You payed less, you are faster, and your bike will hold its value forever.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

can you get split throttle cables from honda or do you have to go through somewhere else like ebay or vt cycles?
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Elite1998 wrote:can you get split throttle cables from honda or do you have to go through somewhere else like ebay or vt cycles?
Wire the oiler wide open, problem solved.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Elite1998 wrote:can you get split throttle cables from honda or do you have to go through somewhere else like ebay or vt cycles?
why do you need one? I have one stock on FS, lmk..
projects galore :nerd:
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

burnt_toast wrote:
why do you need one? I have one stock on FS, lmk..
Just curious..I'd rather wire it open because I'm cheap haha
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
mic
Noob
Noob

Post by mic »

what exhaust did you get? What gears and pulley???
nparks
Spree
Spree

Post by nparks »

I have a split cable for sale, PM me with an offer.
nparks
Spree
Spree

Post by nparks »

mic wrote:what exhaust did you get? What gears and pulley???
Not sure I told the guy at VT to just get me everything I need to get this thing running and give the engine the longest lifespan. I believe it's the v8 that he threw in with all of the other swag I bought.
honda_three
BMX
BMX

Post by honda_three »

are you the chick on the left or in the middle