'85 Aero 50 Jugs, fit on Spree? Need help

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

'85 Aero 50 Jugs, fit on Spree? Need help

Post by noiseguy »

I was looking through the service manuals for the '85 Aero and found something interesting (BTW I will be posting these soon; long story there.)

The '85 Aero has the same bore/stroke as the Spree (41 x 37.4mm). The Aero was marketed at the "Vision" in some markets. From pics I've seen of the base gasket, the Vision has a very similar shape to the Spree base.

In addition, the '85 Aero has larger ports for exhaust and intake, opening exhaust ports and intake ports at 76 and 57 deg vs. 71 and 52 degrees for the Spree.

Compression is slightly different; there may be head differences and/or deck height differences. The exhaust ports to the right side of the jug on the '85 Aero, whereas the Spree ports out the front. I believe the earlier Elites port the exhaust to the right as well.

You'd need the jug from an '85 Aero to check for differences. Aftermarket jugs are available for these Aeros as well, which means certain members living in Hawaii may be able to grab one off the shelf to check this out. Anyone have these part that can check this out?

I've also been wondering if earlier Elite ('87/88) would bolt up as well, as I think they all use the same jug. I just don't have the numbers on those.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

sorry for the noob question, but what's a jug?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

the cylander.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

hey guys, I will be checking out the shops here in hawaii soon, back in the day before 94' there was a lot of cylinder kits for the short blocks (Aero 50s, Se50s and visions, Im not sure if they still carry um. One things for sure, my first modified scooter was a 85' Aero 50, believe it or not but the 94'-2001 SA50 Motors (DIO) Slaps right on, no modifications whatsover to the shock and motor mounts. Has anyone here experienced the power of the dio motor whether it be unrestricted stock with a high speed pulley or a 72cc, 82cc, or even 98+ccs? If you ever come across this motor hold on to it, its pretty hard to find theses days.
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

94-01 sa50 into an aero50 huh?

hey i have an aero 50 :D

whats better about the sa50 engines?
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

Check out this site: http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/gasket.html

By looking at the base gasket, the 94' - 01' has larger transfer ports and boost ports, There is also the double reed manifold aftermarket kit for the dio that will bolt right up to allow 24-30mm carbs the Keihin PWK's and theres a lot of big bore kits out there that will fit the dio motor. My personal favorites are the polini corsa bore because its already factory ported and is a bolt on, no machining whatsover. Well if you ever decide to swap motors let me know about it. Ill post pics of some aftermarket parts available for the dio motor if you like?
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

any more info on the swap for an aero 50?

doesn't seem too common, do i just swap the engine? what about the transmission?
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

Im sorry, the entire motor (The Whole Block) includes transmission and rear tire, let say you are parting out a 94-2001 SA50 Elite ...remove all rear panels and seat bucket, remove the exaust, Take the Rear brake cable out from the motor, unhook the main wire harness, take out the throttle assembly out of the carb, remove all gas from tank by pulling the fuel line out from the carb then pouring it into a gas can, remove all the vacuum hoses and oil line from motor (pour out oil into a can also) remove the shock mount bolt from the frame, then remove the 3/4 bolt from the engine to the motor mount. remove entire motor (Block plus rear tire. Remove the engine from the Aero, I forgot whick motor mount will bolt up but jus have two (Aero and the elite) bolt up the motor mount then the rear shock to the aero frame, make sure motor aligns to the bike.
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

sounds like a pretty simple swap. now i just need a donor sa50.

stock for stock, is the sa50 better than the aer0 50 engine?

albeit that the sa50 is much newer.
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

Sa50 of course...if you do it, and decide to do the first phase of modification, you might want to buy a High speed pulley kit, prefably the Keli pulley kit for DIO (Cost around $50.00) then before installing the exhaust, try getting that welded washer out from the flange with a dremel or something its a restrictor that needs to be out of there, youd might want to rejet the carb and get some test weights for the high speed pulley for some fine tunning. with this mod youd probly go 45-50Mph.
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

how much does an sa50 engine combo usually go for?
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

do you mean the enitire Stock motor?
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

yes, the whole swap.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

i am getting a OKO high speed pulley kit and i want to see how much faster it will make me go. i have a split fire plug in it and 93octane in it with octane booster in it which is raceing gas it is made by nos. it gave me a extra 4 mph and one * of a take off
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
tominos
BMX
BMX

Post by tominos »

um, i don't think octane booster is the same as race gas.