The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mac66
Noob
Noob

Post by mac66 »

Just thought I would say hi and offer up my Spree story.

I have an 84 Spree bought at a yard sale about 5 years ago. It wasn't acttually in the yard sale but I stopped by on my Honda Trail 90 and the woman asked if I knew anything about scooters.

She took me to the back yard and opened the shed. Burried in the corner was a black Spree. The engine wasn't frozen but she said it hadn't been used for 15 years or so. It had 213 miles on the odometer. I offered $50, her husband said $100 so we settled on $75.

I took it home and rinsed out the tank, blew out the carb and put a new spark plug in it.

Interestingly, someone had cobbled the ignition switch with some wires. I couldn't figure out why they had disconected and re-routed some of the wires until I talked to the husband of the woman I bought the scooter from. He said it had been hers when she was a kid and when they married she brought it with her. He said he tried to start it but could never get it going. He figured it was the ignition problem so he tried to rewire it but could never get it started. I didn't have the heart to tell him that you simply had to lock the hand brake before this model would start.

I fixed the wiring and it fired right up but wouldn't stay running. I eventually had to take the carb apart and clean it out as well as clean all the rust out of the gas tank.

Had it for at least 5 years or so and it has been through the mill with my kids riding it. We haul it around when camping in our RV in the summer I still ride it around the neighborhood every so often. We took the purple/pink Spree stickers off it a couple years ago and replaced them with flames.

It is a nice little scooter to play around on.
DRACUTSPREE86
BMX
BMX

Post by DRACUTSPREE86 »

Welcome, i myself am a new member and i was happy and relived to find this messege board, because i wasent really into my spree when i got it but after joining this board i can say its starting to become an addiction. i have a riding group called D50 where we all bust out on our crf 50's but lately ive been rockin the spree instead! i have an 86 spree which is also black, mine has slighly more miles, a little over 2000
Magnus213
Noob
Noob

Post by Magnus213 »

Nearly-running for $75? I think that's the best deal this board's seen! Welcome to the board.
1987 Spree, 2006 Scion tC
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Welcome! Great story to introduce yourself. Stick around and bask in all the info this Spree club has to offer! :)
projects galore :nerd: