best possible oil to use for 87 honda spree?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

best possible oil to use for 87 honda spree?

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

money is not really an issue, i would like to know what you guys think is the best oil for my bike? please give me a few good types, thanks guys, great enthusiasm and attitudes on this forum. ive learned a lot on here.
1987 honda spree (red)
gibson sg standard (ebony)
vox ac30cc2
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Honda GN2.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Honda GN2.
yep. its the best oil you can get.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
xsk3l3t0rx
BMX
BMX

Post by xsk3l3t0rx »

thank you guys, very much appreciated. i think i remember seeing something in another thread about honda GN2. must be good stuff. what kinda of gas should i use premium, regular? not sure if sprees are finicky.
1987 honda spree (red)
gibson sg standard (ebony)
vox ac30cc2
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

xsk3l3t0rx wrote:thank you guys, very much appreciated. i think i remember seeing something in another thread about honda GN2. must be good stuff. what kinda of gas should i use premium, regular? not sure if sprees are finicky.
i have tested with every bike i own, there is no difference at all.
Regular, or premium. I was thinking, "well, since im only buying so little, i should just get the good stuff" but for the life of me i cant tell a difference.
No difference in performance. The spark plugs come out looking the same. I mean, i really dont think it matters ether way.

And again, for oil, Honda Gn2. I run Gn2 in my honda elite and my old rare Trac. I just rebuilt this 89 elite and didnt have any Gn2, and i live a good half and hour away from the nearest honda powersports. So i stopped a gas station and picked up some of there stuff...
It smokes allot, i already had to clean up the spark plug because of carbon build up. I can only imagen how long before the carbon from the cheap oil starts to clog up my tail pipe.

The reason we all use honda Gn2 is because, it hardly smokes at all. Unlike other 2 strokes that smoke allot, Gn2 burns very clean, leaving almost no smoke. Since it burns so clean the spark plugs last just about forever. There is like no carbon build up from it.
It does cost some money, like 7$ a quart. But with how little oil these scooters go though, its hard to complain paying a $3 more for a good brand.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

xsk3l3t0rx wrote:thank you guys, very much appreciated. i think i remember seeing something in another thread about honda GN2. must be good stuff. what kinda of gas should i use premium, regular? not sure if sprees are finicky.
running high octane gas isnt going to increase performance. but the high octane fuel will help protect against detonation and preignition.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

losthope wrote:
running high octane gas isnt going to increase performance. but the high octane fuel will help protect against detonation and preignition.
With compression as low as these engines have (most have less than 8.0 to 1), the only way even regular gas is gonna give you a problem is if you let it sit over the winter without a fuel stablizer in it. Don't waste your money on expensive octane that is wasted and not needed. I though the idea was these things is that they are cheap to run? Expensive oil on the other hand is sometimes a better deal than an engine rebuild.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Run the cheapest gas you can find but whatever you do DONT RUN THAT 10% ETHANOL *! Hows a melted piston and and dissolved carb parts sound?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Is it true that lower octane gas burns easier which would be better in a scooter?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

people have opinions on what fuel they run. i can that torco racing fuel before. 110 octane. only difference i noticed, was it had better throttle response, and it smelled good lol. now, i just run the cheap stuff. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Run the cheapest gas you can find but whatever you do DONT RUN THAT 10% ETHANOL *! Hows a melted piston and and dissolved carb parts sound?
Yeah, alcohol is highly corrosive. But if anything it should deter detonation, not make it worse. Alcohol burns very slow. If you ran straight alcohol you would need about twice the timing advance.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It leans ya out.