New Spree Owner Questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

paulbrown137
BMX
BMX

New Spree Owner Questions

Post by paulbrown137 »

Hi everyone,

New on the forum. I bought a 1987 spree last night and am looking to learn about keeping it running strong.

I think I found a pretty nice bike here. The guy who sold it to me was the second owner. The original owners won it in a contest and didn't ride it all that much. It doesn't appear to have been left outside for 20 years though, in fact it looks pretty much mint other than the black plastic fading a bit and a few nicks and scratches here and there.

I bought it from a surgeon who rode it a mile or so every day to the hospital and around the campus. It only has 425 miles on it!!! :)

I paid $600 and i think the only thing it really needs is a new battery.

Not the lowest i've seen them, but for one in such good shape i havn't seen anything better in the couple months i've been looking.

I'll be riding it about 10 miles to work and back daily and would like to keep in in tip top shape hopefully with some guidance from the forum members here.

My first question is about the oil. The previous owner said he didn't have to put any oil in it, but i'm not exactly sure how many miles he put on it himself. He said he did a tune up but i dont know what that means specifically or how long ago that was. I know that this type of engine would suffer greatly if the oil pump was not mixing.

Is there a way to check and see if the oil pump is doing its job? How many miles can I expect on a full reservoir of oil?

I intend to put 89 octane chevron with techron in it. Any reasons i should use another gas?

This thing starts on the first kick and the engine sounds great. I've noticed no problems in the 10 miles or so i've ridden it. Though the only thing i have to compare it to is my friend's vespa i've ridden a bit and dirt bikes here and there.

I did notice a tiny vibration at certain speeds (dont remember the speed but when i rode it today i did not notice it again). Not a shaking of the bike, but just a small buzzing that tickled my feet a bit. It only last for a few seconds until I sped up a bit. Is this something I should be concerned about or really pay attention to or just a 20 year old bike groaning at a new owner?

The tires have plenty of tread but i'm not sure how long they have been on the bike. They are not cracking but are definitely not shiny and new. Any info or good links on checking the tires and brakes?? It brakes fine but would like to know how much pad i have left. How many miles with average riding should I expect out of a set of tires and brakes?

I am 220 lbs and saw the posted limit is 180. it didn't seem to struggle at all with my weight and I have ridden other 50s and mini bikes that could handle me. Should i do anything or adjust tire pressure/riding style to accommodate my larger frame :) ??

Are there any good links on washing this thing? It could use a bath and I dont want to get water in the wrong spot.

I found the sticky link for the service manual and that I know will come in really handy. Glad someone took the time to scan and post.

As for the battery, i dont want to buy a piece of junk, but would like to find a good deal online or locally. Do you have any recommendations?

Any other recommendations for essential things to check or do on my new bike to ensure safe riding and long term reliability??

I am enjoying riding it around and hope to be using it to commute regularly soon.

\Thanks for all the help.
slaughter83
BMX
BMX

Post by slaughter83 »

Nice man. Sounds like u picked up a good scoot. I hear those batteries don't last too long or in the winter well. So I got a drycell and hooked it up and it runs great. I'd recommend it. 12volt 12 amp.
85' NQ-50 under consruction
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

With your engines 6.8 to 1 compression ratio, 89 octane is a waste of money, as little as that maybe. Cheap oil is bad. Running the manufacture's oil is smart, because you know they are not gonna put out junk oil and then warranty the engine.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree