2.5 hours worth of work later... IT WORKS!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ajohn505
Noob
Noob

2.5 hours worth of work later... IT WORKS!

Post by ajohn505 »

First time poster... I've been reading for a week though. Thanks to this board, I got enough confidence to buy a $50, '85 Honda Spree that had been sitting around for 8 years.

Well, long story short: I changed a fuse, drained/replaced the fluids, changed the plug, and got it running for about a minute and a half or 2 minutes. I don't have the air filter or filter cover (should be getting them soon) and I'm assuming (after reading here) that that may be causing the stalling problem.

I'll report more as I spend more time with the scooter, but I just wanted to thank all of the contributors here.
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Awesome, don't get discouraged if you run into more problems, this board has covered nearly all points to get them out of moth balls. Soon you will be doing 25mph to annoy motorists in your neck of the woods
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
ajohn505
Noob
Noob

Post by ajohn505 »

The first snag was not realizing that the little nut covering the spark plug terminal can be removed. My first test involved simply pressing the plug boot hard against the terminal so there was enough of a connection to make a spark.

I haven't removed it yet, but I hear that it can be removed :). Today on my lunch break I'm heading to the hardware store to get some fuel line and a fuel filter. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. It's doubtful that my experiences will be of any use to anyone (since all of the issues I'll likely experience will have been covered here before) but I'm going to post them anyway just in case.
ajohn505
Noob
Noob

Post by ajohn505 »

The nut on the spark plug terminal came off easily, and I replaced the bolts holding the carb to the intake with some properly fitting ones.

The scoot now idles perfectly and revs perfectly. If the tires had air in them, I'd have driven it around the block a few times. Tomorrow I get the air filter, airbox cover, fuel lines, and fuel filter. I'll have a full report on how it runs.

To any lurkers out there with broken scooters, I have to say: dive right in and start working on your spree. This board has more than enough info to either get it running, or at least learn exactly what it's gonna need.
2002 Honda 919
1985 Honda Spree
ajohn505
Noob
Noob

Post by ajohn505 »

I received the airbox cover and air filter, and installed them this past Friday. After 20 minutes of riding the scooter around the neighborhood, I got up the gumption to ride it 25 miles to my parent's house (who I purchased the scooter from). It seemed to work fine. It randomly bogged down, so I'm going to put in an inline fuel filter and give the carbs a good cleaning.

Other than that: I'm having some problems starting (I need to give it throttle). And it appears to be running somewhat rich (slightly fuel-smelling exhaust). I'm assuming these are all carb-related issues, so I'll do some searching here, perform the adjustments, and report my results here.
2002 Honda 919
1985 Honda Spree
Tapia
Noob
Noob

Post by Tapia »

You may want to check the spark plug gap. Just a thinking out loud.