extra lighting?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

94cruiser
BMX
BMX

extra lighting?

Post by 94cruiser »

anyone ever install extra front light(s) on their Elite?
riding at night sucks, good thing I know the route
Maybe my light is not lined right,
high beams light up street signs up ahead.
2000 Elite SA50
stock
DoubleAey
Goped
Goped

Post by DoubleAey »

you could possibly add like "fog light" type lights, or "running lights" that are pointed down at the ground to see better. i agree, its hard to see at night, knowing the route is a DEF MUST. lol when you hit a pot hole, you feel that sh*t. just make sure you dont go overboard, i dont know how much "extra" lighting an elite can handle. id say do it for your saftey, but make it look sweet in the process =]
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

its totally doable, you could light up the street much better. but good luck making it look good
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You dont have much power to play with.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You dont have much power to play with.
you could wire the light to the battery, probly need to get a bigger battery to support a bigger/ brighter light
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The battery will just go dead, everything has to be able to run off the stator with power leftover for battery charging, the batt is just there to run the starter and act as a buffer.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Easiest light hop up tip I've seen came from lonelywanderer a while back.
[url]http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewto ... +headlight[/url]

The 2001 and up Elite has a headlight with a replaceable H4 halogen bulb.
Compared with the 2000 and below Elite/Spree/Aero/Gyro, the 2001 Elite comes with a 35w low/35w high beam halogen bulb vs the 25 watt of the earlier model.

The H4 halogen bulb comes in many wattages, I've seen from 18w to 100w. But as others have said, the Honda scooters have limited power available from the alternator.

Service manual says for '94-2000 its 88 watts @ 5000 rpm. Of course its a lot lower at idle, so try the lower wattages first. The extreme is probably not only worse lighting at idle, but could damage your stator.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

How much is the running light and dash light drawing?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

How much is the running light and dash light drawing?
Taillight is 8 watts
Dash light is 2 watts x 2 (4w total) I think (schematic is a little fuzzy...)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

So 76 watts, figure it needs least 25 for batt charging at any reasonable rate, 50 watt max on the headlight.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:The battery will just go dead, everything has to be able to run off the stator with power leftover for battery charging, the batt is just there to run the starter and act as a buffer.
my tail light and blinkers run off the battery not the stator, as far as i can see w/ out a diagram the only thing that runs off my stator is my headlight

i gotta do some work on mine later, so when im out there ill grab my meter and see just how much extra juice is in the battery and how much bigger you would need to go for whatever wattage you wanted to use
MotorMaker
Goped
Goped

Post by MotorMaker »

Any one ever used ultra bright LED├óÔé¼Ôäós. Like the led flashlights. They are very bright with low power usage. Just a thought├óÔé¼┬ª├óÔé¼┬ª├óÔé¼┬ª├óÔé¼┬ª
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i dont think a ton of wattage is really needed though. I think if you aimed you headlight a little bit lower than normal, and aimed the new one up a little bit or vice versa, youd have a ton of extra light

i just don't think you could make it look good. I guess you could make a mold of the headlight and alter a fiberglass replica to fit 2 fog lights, you could get some better lighting, Maybe i'll try it if i get bored enough. would anyone be interested in buying like a kit if i made one?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

SpyderMike wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:The battery will just go dead, everything has to be able to run off the stator with power leftover for battery charging, the batt is just there to run the starter and act as a buffer.
my tail light and blinkers run off the battery not the stator, as far as i can see w/ out a diagram the only thing that runs off my stator is my headlight

i gotta do some work on mine later, so when im out there ill grab my meter and see just how much extra juice is in the battery and how much bigger you would need to go for whatever wattage you wanted to use
The stator feeds the battery that the lights(excluding headlight) run on. You can run the bike without a batt and all lights will work but not at low RPM, the battery is just for starting and backup at idle when the stator is running at a very low power.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
SpyderMike wrote:

The stator feeds the battery that the lights(excluding headlight) run on. You can run the bike without a batt and all lights will work but not at low RPM, the battery is just for starting and backup at idle when the stator is running at a very low power.
so if you got a bigger battery and made the headlight run off the battery you should have enuf juice to run them all while at idle

i belive the standard battery is 12V-3Ah, if you get a 12V-6Ah you might be good