Mirror Question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Mirror Question

Post by 01EliteSR »

With me just getting a scooter i don't really know much them. But working at a local Honda Dealer in the sevice department i have seen many different bikes pass through. I was wondering if any of you have switced mirrors from a different scooter or motorcycle? If so what bikes/scooters work or what is the thread size of the stock mirrors so i can cross reference. An one more question! I was considering a japanese tailight for my 2001 Elite SR. What has to go to attach one and what is neede extra? Every time i see one i don't see where you attach the new tailight. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The mirror swap would be on the same 01 Elite SR.
IT's A Honda.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i cant remember off the top of my head if the mirror is a stander 8mm or 10mm. If no one else is able to find out by tomorrow i will go measure mine.

as for the "japanese taillight", Putting it on the bike is easy, just take off the tail light/rear rack. then the rear panels, and remove the gas tank so you can remove the turning singles and get the new japan tail light on. The only bad thing about the japan tail light is you have to self wire it. But it is very basic and easy to do and if you have the original tail light/turning singles its even easier.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

So you can't just plug it up. I was told that is was plug and play. would it be something like wiring a trailer hitch plug? How many wire are we talking. Also what mods should i do on a stock engine with just nder 2000 miles and $200? I don't want nothing crazy because i drive this to work and jsut need more get on the highway to and from my job.( lots of hills)
IT's A Honda.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

two wires for each turning single, and 3 for the taillight/break light. Green is the negative. blue is one side, Orange is the other side, and the brake light is green/yellow. Im telling you its very easy. There might be a plug and play one, mine wasn't, but there could be.

For $110 that thing will do 45-50mph. 9:1 gears and a highspeed pulley from VT. A few friends of mine run this set up and they love it. The take off does go down slightly but its not bad at all. Your mid range is great and your top end is great. Being that its the stock cylinder there is no break in, and you can hold it wide open all day long without overheating. and your gas mileages goes up to like 100mpg.

Or you can go the bore kit rough, but i dont advice this unless you have more money. You can build up a half * 72cc. Cheap bore kit, stock carb rejetted and stock pipe drilled out. Gears and a pulley. Looking about $300 or so.
But you have to do a break in, you have to tune, you have to spend time perfecting your ride. Even after all that, 55-60mph. Good take off, great mid range. Gas mileage drops some.

With your money i would just do the gears and pulley for now. Unless you have like $500-700 and want a real 72cc. (ie bore, carb, intake, pipe, gears, pulley, clutch, and tuning parts).
1991--------Tomos Targa-
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

This does look like. :D Great for winter project ! Picture are not just justice, Look nice in person. Still for sale.
MotorMaker
Goped
Goped

Post by MotorMaker »

Ain't capitalism grand.
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

Is that one plug and play? Wheres the new light attach to on the bike, existing hardware and mounts or what? How much for the light?
IT's A Honda.
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

Found a cross reference for the lock nut that holds my mirrors on. The same nut also fits the new ruckus. So am i correct to say that any mirror that will fit the stock ruckus would fit my elite? The lock nut is 8mm. I found some mirrors on ebay that would look sweet i think. Let me know if you have experimented with this swap and the results. I will let you all know tuesday afternoon because i'm going to take a mirror with me to work and try it. Will have results then unless someone can prove this sooner.
IT's A Honda.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

01EliteSR wrote:Is that one plug and play? Wheres the new light attach to on the bike, existing hardware and mounts or what? How much for the light?
that needs some custom wiring But its easy and very worth it.

the light fits in right where the old turning single mounts are, so there is no custom work need to make them fit.

You can find them on ebay time to time for around $50 or so. But what he has there is a real Japanese one. See, the ebay ones are Kymco. A lesser chines moped brand. yet they look the same. But what he has is a real Japanese tail light set up. i believe his prices was $200, But if your someone who has to have the real deal, those are true JDM.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

I only found ones on ebay for around $150 buy it now price. So i figured there was a cheaper one but i rather buy something that will fit perfect and not be half-* looking. Anyone checked on mirror situation? So what are the plugs for and how would you wire those? I was thinking maybe the stock signals and tail had those plug ends. If i bought one can i keep the rack? It's off now and soon to be chromed. I would rather keep it than get rid of it.
IT's A Honda.
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

Found two on ebay!! One in regualar amber and red and one that is clear in the tail light area and smoked turn signals. $44.95 two much? And what actually lights up, bulbs or leds? Because your tail light has to red to be road legal. White is not correct. So i'm correct to say the JDM's are LED's?
IT's A Honda.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

hey, you found that Daywot seller...!
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

Yeah that's his name, he a phony or what? Plz i already spent the money on it and is supposed to be in the mail. Anyone have a experience with him?
IT's A Honda.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

01EliteSR wrote:Yeah that's his name, he a phony or what? Plz i already spent the money on it and is supposed to be in the mail. Anyone have a experience with him?
Daywot is a very common name on these forums. He sells tons of stuff to tons of people.

you look up his name and you will find just as many good things and bad things, but in the long run everyone gets there parts. I have heard people say once he gets your money he because like imposable to get a hold of, i have heard that he takes forever to ship something out, and i have heard that he is a great person who sells reasonably priced scooters parts.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
01EliteSR
Goped
Goped

Post by 01EliteSR »

Well i had a seller that trued to screw me out of some money and it just so happens that i bought it form a guy in Troy, Ohio and i had to go there for honda training. Needless to say i found his house and got my s***.
IT's A Honda.