Downhill Madness

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Downhill Madness

Post by Jim »

*Bear in mind I do not have a speedo cable, therefore I do not know.*

Is it just me or do sprees go faster if you turn off the engine and let it coast down by itself while going downhill... I know I do it because it saves gas. (my hill is fricken steep and about a mile and a half long). It certainly feels like im going faster, but that might be the fact that the only noise I hear is the air going past, not the familiar engine sounds. But cars still pass me at the same speed... I really need a speedo cable lol :oops:
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

downhill speed

Post by Jerry »

I think you're actually NOT going as fast - you have the both drag and braking power of the belt and pulleys rotating.
Leave the engine running and open it up....you'll go faster if speed is what you want.
Scoot safely
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

from a dead stop the pullys and belt goes? i thought it would bypass the centrifical clutch and just freewheel all the way down
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

freewheeling

Post by Jerry »

You still have the drag of the tranny and the flywheel (outer clutch) dragging. Same as riding the brakes. You aren't about to over-rev the two stroke. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
I've done the same experiment before. One mile hill vs one and a half but results were the same. My speedometer(s) work fine and they all have the same result, more speed with the throttle open vs closed.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The Spree has a rev limiter to keep the motor from overspeeding. It will sit at 8000 (I believe that's the redline) for quite awhile.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Speed limiter

Post by Jerry »

I'd love to see some documentation on speed limiting on the Spree. Red Line too as far as that goes. Most of my knowledge comes from experience. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get documentation, please tell me where.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Doubt there's much; the CDIs are called "black boxes" for a reason. If you have a frequency generator and a event counter/oscilliscope you could probably figure out the ignition timing and RPM limit. I'm betting it's really simple, like a single-set ingnition advance setting.

I've read that disconnecting the "red wire" from the CDI disables the rev limiter. There is no red wire, only a black/red on 84/85 that is picking up a voltage off the mag. Looks suspicious. Don't know about 86 or 87.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Speed

Post by Jerry »

I've had an O'scope on and read the pulses and got to 10k. Frequency generator couldn't put out more. That tells me that since this is a single fire triggering CDI, the 'red line' is at least 10K but obviously more......
Accepting for losses in the line due to stray capacitance, the electrical portion is good for a lot higher RPM than the mechanical, but I still don't know what that is.....
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you have the spark plug in line when you did the testing? I'm surprized that the red line is that high.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Redline

Post by Jerry »

Complete bench setup. My only limitation was a ten k generator. Coil never hesitated, plug didn't either. I admit that I was nervous with the plug fairly close to my arm, but it stayed safe enough. Used a 12 volt filtered power supply by the way, never took into account that the generator would be pulsed output vs flatline, although it shouldn't make a huge difference.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you happen to check the phasing of the input to output? I was wondering if the black box had variable ignition advance, or if it was set to one value.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Phasing

Post by Jerry »

Not variable. Capacitance trigger. Time constant changes with frequency but only to a small degree.
I'm still interested in knowing what the mechanical limit is. I'm assuming that this is where any limiting would come into effect with the air flow restrictions and exhaust etc.
Scoot safely
dallasmysterycrew
Noob
Noob

Post by dallasmysterycrew »

aftermarket cdi's? help or hendrance? any ideas? because i thnk i can order them, not 100% sure though...
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If there's an aftermarket CDI available, I'd like to know.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

... couldn't imagine it would do much.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide