softening gaskets for removal

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

johannpaint
Noob
Noob

softening gaskets for removal

Post by johannpaint »

Anyone have any quick tips for softening intake gaskets at the reeds and oil pump for simple removal? Beside careful scraping with a chisel or razorblade?
Wheelman-111

Gasket Softener

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Try any Autoparts store. Ask for Gasket Remover. Comes in a spray can or paint-on. Be careful where you apply.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
johannpaint
Noob
Noob

Post by johannpaint »

Thanks!
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Re: Gasket Softener

Post by po89mm »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Try any Autoparts store. Ask for Gasket Remover. Comes in a spray can or paint-on. Be careful where you apply.
ive used that stuff on 4 stroke engines, its pretty much worthless IMO

might work better on thinner gaskets though
johannpaint
Noob
Noob

Post by johannpaint »

That same day I picked up a can of Permatex spray Gasket Remover. Liberally soaked the parts until the next morning. Used a chisel and a five-in-one tool to remove most of the gaskets, another quick spray followed by a cleaning with small brass bristle brush and toothbrush. Rinse in water, dry. Worked great! Just takes time and a little patience. And about $5.98
Wheelman-111

Gasket Softener

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

As with many things, time is a key factor. Solvents need time to work. Often several applications are necessary. If you don't time/patience, gasket remover doesn't help much. If you do, it makes the removal job considerably easier, AND less risky to critical true surfaces. Consider the damage you can do to aluminum mating surfaces with a carelessly-applied steel scraper.

Same goes for carb soaking, by the way. I've read Forum instructions to soak a carb for "about an hour". In my case the 7-years' worth of residue known as The Beast :twisted: would just laugh. It took nearly a week's worth of dunking in the Dip to get the job done. But I didn't need to gouge stuff out with wires and other risky measures.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

there are plastic razor blades for this very purpose, too. paint store or any good hardware store should have em. they fit into a regular gasket scraper that would use a regular steel razor blade, they just wont scar delicate parts!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Removing hard gaskets are all about time-soaks, gasket removal sprays need a lot of time to soak in and break the gasket material up. This is like trying to remove tough starch stains off cookware, if you scrub it too soon you'll only run into a tough fight, but if you leave it soaking in hot/warm soapy water, it'll eventually be easier to deal with.