Theroy Question: Torque or low end power vs. top speed

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

kwosha
BMX
BMX

Theroy Question: Torque or low end power vs. top speed

Post by kwosha »

Can anyone describe to me the theoretical or mechanical difference (for a 2 stroke scoot obviously) between torqe/low-end power/acceleration and top speed.

Basically what I'm asking is what the concept of what controls the ability to accelerate quickly on a scoot? I understand that to get the top speed, you're basically getting more gas flow through the carb and to the combusion chamber at the right ratio. But what about acceleration?

I can't understand any way one stock 50cc engine would be able to accelerate faster than another if they're all using a centrifugal clutch. Wouldn't the acceleration be limited by the maximum that the engine could take without getting flooded?

Thanks
Kevin
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

this is where pulleys come into play, they adjust the ratio of the belt to keep speed gain at optimum. with no variator however, it's all up to the engine basically to get the bike going, so with no "low gear" present on a spree, there is essentially almost no torque. torque=off the line performance, acceleration. hp is more for topend. this is probably not a very adequate explanation, but its what I've learned. All u scooter junkies feel free to add what u know. :idea:
projects galore :nerd:
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

what you guys fail to understand is that you need to transfer power to speed, so a bore kit is useless unless you change the gear ratio. then you dial in the trans to the way you ride thats why i own 4 scoots from bone stock to extreme so i have it all covered.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

right, all that power would be used for acceleration with the stock gearing. u wouldnt be able to keep the front wheel on the ground but wouldnt go faster then 40-45 either.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx