Are Honda Nifty 50's reliable

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Glyn
Noob
Noob

Are Honda Nifty 50's reliable

Post by Glyn »

First post on the site.

I am looking to buy a 1986 NQ 50 (Nifty 50). It is in nice cond with low mileage. I want to use it as an everyday commuter and wondered how reliable they are for everyday use. Also how many miles/kms on a standard motor, with good oil etc, can I get before any major engine work / re bore etc is needed.

Glyn Pickering
New Zealand
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

To my knowledge, it's basically a Spree, and as long as you run the GN2 oil, a nice fuel filter, etc they almost never quit here in the US. My Elite E i just picked up had not been fired in 6 years, I cleaned the carb and it runs GREAT.

I'd say go for it if you think it's a good price. They average $300 in the US for a Spree, more for the white ones.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

With good oil and some fuel stabilizer(prevents carb varnish) you can go well over 3000 miles without rebuilding/cleaning anything.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

if you take care of it, it will take care of you. ive got about 12,000 miles my NQ-50. As far as milage i tend to get 40 +/- MPG on a tank of gas at WOT.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

po89mm wrote:
As far as milage i tend to get 40 +/- MPG on a tank of gas at WOT.
According to my calculator, that means you're averaging about 40 +/- Miles Per Tank(MPT), and approximately 80 MPGallon.

Ye olde NQ50 tank holds about 5/8ths of a gallon.

Or something like that. :P

CaptDan