thinking of buying a spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

MMFELLING7
Noob
Noob

thinking of buying a spree

Post by MMFELLING7 »

hi everyone, first posting here! i am considereing buying an '86 Spree i found on craigslist for $595. 2K miles.

anyone have thoughts on if this is a good deal or not? anything specific I should be looking for/asking about before I buy it?

thanks so much!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: thinking of buying a spree

Post by ALOW1 »

MMFELLING7 wrote:hi everyone, first posting here! i am considereing buying an '86 Spree i found on craigslist for $595. 2K miles.

anyone have thoughts on if this is a good deal or not? anything specific I should be looking for/asking about before I buy it?

thanks so much!
Hello and welcome to the forums. This place rocks!

I personally think that $595.00 is too much for a Spree. It would have to be in very nice shape.

But at the same time it depends on what you want it for?

Do you want it just to have a nice example of a Spree, something just to cruise around on? Will you be content with something that you will be lucky if it ever goes over 35Mph?

Mod's for a Spree are few....

If you are looking to mod a scooter and go faster and like to tune stuff then find yourself a 94+ Elite 50cc.

The 94+'s are more commonly known as Dio's around here. With the Dio you can do almost any mod you can think of.

70+ MPH on a Dio is not unheard of around these forums.

Either way you go, you are welcome on the forums, ask anything here, no matter how stupid it may sound. Most the people here are willing to help in anyway they can.

As for if its too much to pay, thats my opinion. I will let others chime in to see what they think 8)
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

you mean this one?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/1037070835.html

I'd pass. I've bought a 01 elite for $650, a 92 jog for $400. I'd say if you're close to the portland area, you should be able to find an elite for the same.

Depends really on your budget and what you're looking for. A spree may only do 25-30mph. Sure you can mode them to go faster, but their performance ceiling is soon reached. An elite has a much higher ceiling, and better initial acceleration and top speed. Its also nice to fit a full face helmet under the seat.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
MMFELLING7
Noob
Noob

Post by MMFELLING7 »

thats the one! thanks everyone for the advice, i think i will hold out for an elite! thanks so much!
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

i could never figure out why scooter junkies slam on the spree as much as they do .
IMO if one wanted to go fast on two wheels and have lots of modification potential a scooter is not the place to look for it. One looks at motorcycles for that kind of thing.

$595 isn't all that much for a respectable looking spree. * you sure cant buy a NIB 50cc scooter, especially one with a readily available parts base for that kind of money.