sandblasting media

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

sandblasting media

Post by PimpinSpree »

I'm buying a sandblasting cabinet but i can't figure out what media i should use in it. Anyone have any experience. My buddy uses "sandblasting sand" and it seems to work well but it forms huge dust clouds. I've read "black beauty" is good stuff and doesn't cloud up, but it sounds like its too abrasive. Whats the benefits of aluminum oxide

i want to use this to prep for powder coating, if that helps any
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Avoid silica, * up your lungs.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

im well aware of that. Care to add any input to any of my questions?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thats all I know about sandblasting.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Most anything is going to cloud up. Do not use sand for aluminum. I use the AD size glass bead for aluminum. The garnet sand is pretty good and doesn't have the silica. It is actually aginst the law to blast with silica sand, big air quality fines, like $10,000. Not to mention eating up your lungs.

Most cabinets have a connection for a vacuum cleaner. Pick up a used shop vac, put a good filter in it, and hook to the vacuum port on the cabinet.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?