Honda Metropolitan

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

toboggan
Elite
Elite

Honda Metropolitan

Post by toboggan »

So, i was at my local Honda store, and saw to beautiful brand new Honda Metropolitans. I wanted to take one for a test ride, but had a lack of time.

However i did sit on one. lol. But they are really comfy. haha. and they seem to top out at 40 stock(thats how high the speedo went)

Does anyone have one of these, and how do you like your Honda Metro?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

metro's are pig slow, nuf said

unless you lookin for a slow movin commuter with no balls and no chance to ever grow em :lol:
projects galore :nerd:
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

gahh. but my balls there toast, haha, kidding.

But could you do any mods to them?!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

toboggan wrote:gahh. but my balls there toast, haha, kidding.

But could you do any mods to them?!
nope, hence why they're such a terrible platform for speed, can find exhausts maybe, it would take major $$ to make a 4stroke 50cc faster

only hope is doing some sort of swap

I would check out a Genuine Scooter Buddy 50 or 125cc, retro modern styling much better performance and great buys overall
po89mm
Spree
Spree

Post by po89mm »

unless your one of those folks that just HAS to tinker with stuff

the way i see it if you want to go fast you should be looking at a motorcycle not a moped.

my .02 8)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

po89mm wrote:unless your one of those folks that just HAS to tinker with stuff

the way i see it if you want to go fast you should be looking at a motorcycle not a moped.

my .02 8)
yup this is true, but even so the metro's acceleration is so subpar for a 50cc scooter.. I'm sure a spree would beat it lol getting up to speed can also just be a creature comfort

and I'm looking at motorcycles now.. :lol:
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

ha. well i was just seeing what everyone thought of it, guess they don't have too good of a review. haha.

Thanks again guys!
I'll be sticking to my Spree!
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

My uncle has one is pretty quick its not as slow as these people are making it out to be stock it keeps up with a stock aero and elite dio as far as mods my uncle just put a variator on his and there is plenty of exhaust clutch springs contra springs out there so you cam make them pretty quick. the newer ones are fuel injected I believe so if you put an exaust on it. It has to be mapped from a computer instead of adjusting the carb
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

yeah, i was looking at a brand new one. not the older ones.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It IS possible to make a fast 4 stroke, just more work than slapping on a jug and exhaust.

Cam
stiffer valve springs
port head
shave head(or lap head and eliminate gasket)
open header
big carb/intake

Then variator, gears, bigger rear tire, etc.(if available)
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

whoa whoa whoa Toast man, Dont be dissin' a bike just because its not your style,

My friend mark has an 07 metro and that bike kicks *. My friend is a super skinny little dude, but he can fly around at 45mph all day long. The take off (with him on it) is crazy fast for a 4stroke.
yup this is true, but even so the metro's acceleration is so subpar for a 50cc scooter.. I'm sure a spree would beat it lol getting up to speed can also just be a creature comfort
I dont mean to be calling you out or anything. But IMO your way off.
Even when i get my * on my friends bike, its no dog. Its not a speed machine, but its no dog.
I can push 42mph or so on his bike. with take off that plenty powerful up to speed.

Now i mean, it isnt a race bike, and its never going to be much faster then 40-45. (unless you got tons of $$$).
Its not a 2 stroke and its not a speed machine. But its not a bad bike at all.
The only true downside i see about it is you have to take it into honda every so often for the "tune up".
(Do to a funky * design you cant really fix it yourself like a 2stroke)

When my friend first got his bike and i was still on my 92 we put close to 2000 miles on the bikes in the span of one summer break. Besides taking his in a few times for the tuneup. the bike ran great and held up to the beating we put on it(WOT for hours on end. Trail riding. Mudding).
There not my style, but there not a bad bike at all.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

Unless you really want one that is brand new I'd search craigslist sometimes you can find slightly older ones with real low miles in perfect condition because people bought them and just didn't drive them. My dad got a 2005 2 stroke vino with about 300 miles on it for 750, and my Uncle got his metro in the same condition with 700 miles for $800 dollars. It goes in the low 40ies with just the variator and rollers.

Now I don't think they have quite the character as a no kick start having 85 aero, But I also think my 2005 Zuma doesn't have the character as my slow as heck 1990 pink elite e. Of course I also have just as much fun on a slow scooter as a fast one.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

*, well it goes faster then my '86 spree. which tops out at 30 +/- . lol

But after i do some work to my spree, hopefully i can get it going a little quicker too.

But idk, i just saw the metro, and liked the style of it. haha
and the "insides" are nice, comfy, and sleek.

Hopefully, when i go to the Honda-san store tomorrow (have to order parts for that damned spree) i can test ride one.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

You should see the basket they have for it that wraps around the inside of the steering column its sweet
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

ha, i'll take a look and see if they have one with a basket tomorrow