My New 'family bike' (Kymco ZX50)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

My New 'family bike' (Kymco ZX50)

Post by Dac »

And the best part...

It runs, its just sloppy. I took it up the road and it had a hard time to getting to 15, but then it flew right upto 40mph.
Im going to tear it all apart tomorrow and try it get it running better. By the time i got it home it was dark, so i didnt mess with it much. But, by the look of it... DIO MOTOR :shock:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Stock bore on an exhaust too big?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

the bad thing is they don't make gears for it but you can put a 72cc bore kit on it.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It is possible to make gears, CNC helps.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Stock bore on an exhaust too big?
The person i got it form clearly knew nothing about the thing. something tells me that no one jetted up with the pipe.
Plus i think the rollers are flat spotted to *.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:It is possible to make gears, CNC helps.
Yeah, but we are talking normal everyday people. :lol:
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

LOL at the misleading comments, and major PROPS to you Dac for this find!

Let me straighten things out:

The pipe that's on there is a Tecnigas Next R, a chambered high rev pipe PERFECT for 50cc, no bore kit needed. Just need to run lighter rollers and switch out springs, even so thats only if you feel its not in the powerband.

And YES that there is a Dio style motor! I was looking for one for the longest before I found my Arnada, since the zx comes with diskbrake up front stock

Virtually everything dio should fit, and so should gears. Call up VT to double check on this one though, they'll know ;)
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

WORSE rollers i have ever seen(in person or online)
Swapped them out withs somes 7's and 8's and it is sooooo much better.

The pipe that's on there is a Tecnigas Next R, a chambered high rev pipe PERFECT for 50cc, no bore kit needed. Just need to run lighter rollers and switch out springs, even so thats only if you feel its not in the powerband.
After a little work on it today this pipe seems to be doing really good. It does seem to be all rev and little go off the line. Ill have to try some different rollers and see what works the best.

RIDE REPORT:
Starts easy, idles great,
Take off is great, all the way upto 30-40mph.
Then it contines to pull strong all the way upto like 45.

I took it down the road and the road ran out before i could top it out. I turned around and ran down a long road and had it upto 50mph! I backed off but i almost feel that i could have gotten another few mph if i kept on it.

And now, Picture Time...
1991--------Tomos Targa-
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hey, nice find!
I've only seen Kymco stuff from afar, downloaded some manuals etc.

Looks good in the pics, how does the plastics and build quality compare with Honda?
Wheelman-111

Shaving Plates

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check the ramp plate behind the variator casting. The outside edges on those I've seen remain unfinished at a sharp right-angle after the stamping process. Those sharp corners seem to "shave" the rollers as they roll across. I used a flat file to round off those edges and have noticed no further issues - about 500 miles - with flat spots to date.

YMMV
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Shaving Plates

Post by burnt_toast »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Check the ramp plate behind the variator casting. The outside edges on those I've seen remain unfinished at a sharp right-angle after the stamping process. Those sharp corners seem to "shave" the rollers as they roll across. I used a flat file to round off those edges and have noticed no further issues - about 500 miles - with flat spots to date.

YMMV
nice suggestion
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

mousewheels wrote:Hey, nice find!
I've only seen Kymco stuff from afar, downloaded some manuals etc.

Looks good in the pics, how does the plastics and build quality compare with Honda?
Looks good in person, There is a few small problems such as a small rattle in the front end that i cant seem to find( and is bugging the * out of me) :x .

The plastic seems to have held up thru some really bad crashes with only one found crack. (seen in 3rd picture). But the build quality seems great. Much Much better then any other chines bike i have worked with.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

:D Good day today.
Went out this morning and it started first kick. Rode it around town a few times with no problems at all.

I decided to take some of burnt toast advice and lighten up the rollers to some 5gram thats i got from Tru72. (thanks guys)
Much better power curve. Off the line it rips, 10-20mph is a lot of rev and little go, but everything up from there POWER.
I cursed around all day with at 50mph. If i really try to top it out i can d*** near hit 55. It looks around like 53-54mph.

This is what really kills me...
I just about like this more then my elite. :?

I cant stand the color, but other then that i love it.
This bike is ungodly stable. no matter what speed i can do 'no hands' and the bike stays perfectly upright. Not just upright, but perfectly balanced. at like 50mph i can do 'no hands', 'no hands'+'no feet' , *, i can even stand on the thing with my arms straight out and it is balanced as could be.
This stuff all can be done on my elite, but on the elite is a little risky. This bike is sooooooo stable that it done without thinking twice about it.

One of the things about the elite i like is i can do dirt drifts and wheelies and what not. This bike is hair to big/heavy for that type of play. Overall i would say my elite is a * of a lot more fun. But on the streets the kymco is a much better ride. Plus The kymcos braking power is amazing.

I have been out riding all day and i got to say, Im falling in love with this bike... :oops:
1991--------Tomos Targa-
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I cursed around all day with at 50mph
What is it about 50 mph that * you off? :lol:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Now I want a Kymco with a technigas pipe and 5 gram rollers.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I have been out riding all day and i got to say, Im falling in love with this bike...
Kymco's a granddaddy of clones.

Thanks for your comments on build quality and plastics. I've been thinking about Kymco quite a bit since you've been posting about yours.

So in looking around for more info about Kymco, discovered they were founded in 1963 to build parts for Honda. Been building scooters and cycles since the 1970's. By 1983, they had produced 1 Million vehicles. So a mature company they are.

Also, they are based in Taiwan, HQ and production, making it the 'good' China as far as maturity of manufacturing and workforce.

So - make my first clone .... Kymco!, Great pick Dac!