shipping?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

peter1sp
BMX
BMX

shipping?

Post by peter1sp »

Has anyone ever had to ship a motorcycle/scooter? If so who did you use and approximately how much was it?
1981 CM400 C... Former Rides: 1986 Honda NQ50
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Re: shipping?

Post by 66SIX »

I am trying to find out the same thing myself .Maybe someone will answer my post on how to accomplish this ?
Attachments
100_3613.jpg
100_3613.jpg (109.26 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

About $600 via commercial carrier. Took two days. They charged the same for the scooter as a motorcycle, said it was because of opportunity cost. Don't remember the carrier, there are several of them. Google it and they will give you a rate chart on the company's website. Some give a discount if you book a return trip at the same time or if there is a special event going on like Bike Week. Some companies make you drain all the gas, oil... and some want to be able to drive it on and off the trailer...

Had a friend of a friend haul one in his Uhaul trailer when moving. Free but it took two weeks to get it.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

See my answer to 66SIX on the same subject- www.uship.com

You should be able to do a lot better than $600 if you are a bit flexible on schedule. I have not paid more than $200 to ship a bike from as far as Michigan to New Mexico.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I'm having a bike shipped from San Diego to Austin this week. The fee was $350.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

nacree wrote:See my answer to 66SIX on the same subject- http://www.uship.com

You should be able to do a lot better than $600 if you are a bit flexible on schedule. I have not paid more than $200 to ship a bike from as far as Michigan to New Mexico.
Ever had any problems? The way I understand Uship is that anyone can bid on the job and you could just be handing over your scooter to a chop shop.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

eliteguy50 wrote:
nacree wrote:See my answer to 66SIX on the same subject- http://www.uship.com

Ever had any problems? The way I understand Uship is that anyone can bid on the job and you could just be handing over your scooter to a chop shop.
I have shipped 8 bikes with Uship and never had a problem. Most of the time the keys and title were with the bike too. Just like Ebay you have to read the feedback and make sure the shipper gets good reviews for communication. You are also supplied with the shippers phone number so the first thing I do when a shipment gets booked is give them a call and make sure they sound like a reasonable person. I would not ship with someone with no feedback or more negative than positive feedback. A theif would not last long on that type of site.

With any online transaction there is the opportunity to get burned but every shipper I have used has turned out to be a decent guy. No problems as long as you are a little flexible- couple of days later than expected is no biggie as long as they let you know. Now a week late would be another story but I have not had that problem.

My most recent shipment was a Yamaha Morphous that I bought from a guy in Las Cruces NM. I bought the bike, listed the shipment and had a bid on it for $150 in less than 30 mins. The time between paying for the bike via Paypal and lining up a shipper was so fast that the seller got a little spooked. The shipper just happend to be coming from southern AZ and detoured a bit through Las Cruces NM on his way to deliver a bike to the local Harley dealership. I was able to explain the details to him and gave him the shippers phone number and everything was good. Bike was picked up two hours later and delivered the next day (~300 miles or so one way). Came in a enclosed transport trailer with several other bikes (mostly Harleys etc.) I was glad not to have to go load it up in my truck and drive 600 miles round trip.

Your mileage may vary but has worked out well for me.

Later,

Nathan
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Not to threadjack, but Nathan, my bike that I just purchased is a Yamaha Morphous too. It's being shipped in a metal crate from the dealer to a hub near my house.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

sanjuro wrote:I just purchased is a Yamaha Morphous.
Nice!! Hope you post pics!

On the subject of shipping, never did it. So I'm no help as usual.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Morphous

Post by nacree »

sanjuro wrote:Not to threadjack, but Nathan, my bike that I just purchased is a Yamaha Morphous too. It's being shipped in a metal crate from the dealer to a hub near my house.
Sweet-

I have already completed a 400cc engine swap from a Yamaha Majesty- see it running here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EOI3Ej-yI

It is seriously fast now. The best part is that it is a 95% bolt in swap- you have to swap the Majesty output shaft for the Morph one but that is as easy as changing primary gears on an AF16. All the wiring matches exactly (connectors, colors etc. Fab a custom exhaust (or use the Majesty muffler) and you are done. More details on the Morphous forum on yahoogroups.

Be sure to show us some pictures of your Morph when you get it. Mine is black but I'm currently repainting as the owner put goofy stickers all over and screwed up the paint.

Later,

Nathan
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Nathan,

Yeah, I would totally swap a Majesty motor in it :twisted: if the opportunity to get one arose.

Here's the bike at the dealer before they crated it:

I'm stoked you pioneered the swap for it. 8)
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

i shipped a dj1r from japan altho this probably doesnt help ur situation as i work for a large car importer and the bike went in the back of a van that we had bought so it cost me nothing just the 15000yen i paid for it and 2000yen internal shipping in japan

66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Well Thanks for the info and the stories (I liked to one about putting a bike in the back of a van being shipped from Japan ,That guy lucked out big time ).I have called so many shippers and have gotten so many quotes . The car haulers want a fortune around $500.00 and the local shippers want anywhere from $ 300.00 to $ 400.00 I did get a quote back from a big company and had used a friends name as a referal and got a Email back saying here is the name of the shipper That they would use and give them a call ....OK called the place in Vegas and got a quote of
Drum roll please .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. $ 62.00 sounds too good to be true Pick Up / Delivery to the Vegas terminal ( you save money not having it shipped to your place just pick it up at their terminal ) ... OK how much extra to have it put on a pallet and shrink wrapped ? an extra $ 25.00 not bad $87.00 total ...
The guy was really a good guy I asked do I really have to remove the new $70.00 battery ... He said just cover it with some cardboard .I said it's under the seat he said don't worry then . Cool OK then he said I have to call their other office in San Francisco with all the information ... and just tell them the price of the quote he gave me .
Call San Francisco office ... the problems start ... Do you have an account with us ...NO ...do I need one No..How do you want to pay? With a credit card ... well there is a $ 25.00 fee for using a Visa or you can fed ex a company check ... Then they have to wait until it clears Great more delays ... Now I am told they cannot do the paper work there and I will have to call the head office .... Well I guess you know who I will be calling tomorrow morning ?
Here is the kicker .... Last week when I was making the deal ,I asked the seller if he or anyone he knows ever comes down to Vegas ? He said his neighbour has a son there and goes quite often and has quads and a toy hauler .... I ask could you call him ... sure ... but he couldn't get a hold of him for 3 days Can you guess where he was ? ???? Yep Vegas . When is he planning on going back ? in 2 weeks So I do want the Gyro now ? Yes :surprise: but if the shipping deal falls through . I guess it's a 2 week wait ... for $0.00
Here is a bit of information on paying the seller I went to Wal-mart and got a moneygram at their customer service center , They charge 5% not bad but the seller can get his cash within 15 min. at any wall mart store untill 10:00 at night .... So far it has gone pretty smooth on paying for the Gyro .
Attachments
I wanted to get the extra Gyro so my wife can ride too .I guess 2 weeks isn't that long to wait after all ?
I wanted to get the extra Gyro so my wife can ride too .I guess 2 weeks isn't that long to wait after all ?
married.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Friend of a friend, wait a couple weeks, Free. The best deal.

Gyro you say? Any pictures?