powdercoating rims

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

powdercoating rims

Post by burnt_toast »

So I just took my Dio rims to get "professionally" painted and the guy wanted to charge me $100 just for the two rims (same as what he would charge to do 4 car rim outers) :? , like an idiot I agreed but feeling sore about it managed to call it off in time this morning

I am now considering powdercoating the rims instead, as suggested by z50r-blank

I've just found a local sand blasting and a powdercoating shop, and about to call them up for quotes.

What kind of prices would be reasonable for sandblasting and powdercoating two 10in scooter rims?
And will sandblasting alone be enough to prime the rims for powdercoat or will a primer be necessary?
projects galore :nerd:
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i have no idea, the guy i do a lot of work for lets me throw in whatever when he gets stuff done, as far as i know all they do is sandblast them before they go in the oven. i wouldnt expect more than 50$ for two wheels
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

scooterwerx wrote:i have no idea, the guy i do a lot of work for lets me throw in whatever when he gets stuff done, as far as i know all they do is sandblast them before they go in the oven. i wouldnt expect more than 50$ for two wheels
$50 to sandblast AND powdercoat ?
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

wont sandblasting inside the break drum hurt it? if so, how would you go about stopping it from getting in there?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

I emailed a local guy (just yesterday) and he told me $80 to do my Elite wheels in candy blue (silver base with clear-blue cover) and $50 for gloss black (single coating). He said this includes sandblasting and all prep work.

Cheers.

www.halfbakedcoatings.com
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

SpyderMike wrote:wont sandblasting inside the break drum hurt it? if so, how would you go about stopping it from getting in there?
indeed, the brake drum and the front wheel bearings are what I'm concerned about, thoughts?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

1. Remove bearings
2. Tape off unwanted areas (multi-layers)
3. Blast away! 8)
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Blaster guys probably have some better ways to protect. Big rubber stoppers could be perfect.

I'm a beginner blaster but did fine by just covering up the parts where needed.

Taped up the front wheel axle hole. For the brake side, wrapped plastic around the bearing area, taped it down well. Then cut out thin (1/8"?) plywood to the dia of the drum and taped around. Didn't blast directly at the tape. Tape held up ok & bearings were clean afterwards.

Rear wheel was just the plywood & tape to cover the drum.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

I just got the steering stem for my 4-wheeler back from a guy in ohio that does powdercoating. He charged me $50 to do it in a 2 coat finish, sandblast it, and ship it back to me. I know he charges $15 a piece to do 4-wheeler rims (more if it requires 2 coats). And there is a guy close to me that does sandblasting for $50 an hour, but he can do ALOT of sandblasting in an hour...

So thats the rates I've seen... Hope you can get something close, it all seemed pretty cheap to me.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

mousewheels wrote:Big rubber stoppers could be perfect.
that sounds like the best bet
mic
Noob
Noob

Post by mic »

Burnt check out this guy.. http://www.jpcoatings.com/ He has done work on my past two motorcycles with great results and great prices. He has a very positive reputation with the dodge neon community and local motorcycle clubs. Check out this links for some examples of the colors and work he has done.. Skim through the pages he actually had some ped rims he did on the last page.
http://www.detroitneonowners.org/viewto ... &start=255

This is his email jeffford15@hotmail.com , tell him Doughrek recommend you.

Heres some work he did for me on my 2005 zx636
the clutch housing use to be gold
the top triple tree use to be silver
the calipers and inside part of the rotors use to be gold
And my 2003 zx6rr
Calipers and inside part of rotors use to be gold

Or have you considered getting them polished? I also know a guy who could polish them for you pretty cheap.
My new bike I had a grill made, he polished it for me as well as a ton of other parts.. I won't post to many pictures because I don't know if you are interested in getting stuffed polished.
Went from this
To this
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Dude. Seriously, this is a job better done yourself. It's just much cheaper. The materials will be less than $10. You can buy a sandblaster and media for $20 at HF and do that part yourself if they're so bad they need this done.

I'm not a fan of powercoating rims. Impossible to touch up if it gets chipped from use or changing tires.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Post by hondadirtracer »

here is a link to pictures of the work the guy does http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread ... owder+cote

here is his contact info
Web: http://www.custompowderkote.com
email: jim@custompowderkote.com
phone: (989) 992-6696

He also sand blasts on site
1987 Spree. Motor is in a rubermaid container.
1979 Honda Express that runs like a top.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

noiseguy wrote:Dude. Seriously, this is a job better done yourself. It's just much cheaper. The materials will be less than $10. You can buy a sandblaster and media for $20 at HF and do that part yourself if they're so bad they need this done.

I'm not a fan of powercoating rims. Impossible to touch up if it gets chipped from use or changing tires.
Best advice right here.. thanks noiseguy

After going to several local shops and pricing this out, everyone wants an arm and a leg just for two freakin tiny scooter rims! :?

SO

Screw that, I'm gonna prep myself and spray paint just like I did my other set for second Elite. May not come out perfect but I'll feel better not having to wait and drop major money on just painting rims
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'm not bashing on the painter's rates; it takes as much time to prep and paint a scooter rim as a much larger (and more valuable) motorcycle rim. It's just harder to justify $50/rim on a $1000 scooter vs. a $10,000 motorcycle.

I always do my own paint; it's worth learning to do this right if you plan to keep building stuff.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products