HELP! Oil pump woes

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wiguy05
Elite
Elite

HELP! Oil pump woes

Post by wiguy05 »

So this afternoon while I was de-restricting my new '01 Elite S, I noticed something looked funny.....after about 30 seconds of yelling, freaking out and just generally insanity, I came to accept the fact that....

THERE IS NO OIL CABLE.

The cable is entirely gone. Not just cut or broken, it is an entire SINGLE throttle cable with no oiler cable.

Now this leads me to a critical question: If the cable breaks (or is not present) does the pump run at WOT oil, or IDLE oil?

Also did a compression check and I only have 95psi of compression, but it still ran and pulled well.

What a *' day, someone please help. :cry:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

it will run at idle oil level

this is quite normal

restricted sa50p type elites dont have this cable, my P didnt, my SR did

what you do is ziptie or use wire and tie up the pump so it is open wide open, that is safest bet
projects galore :nerd:
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

burnt_toast wrote:it will run at idle oil level

this is quite normal

restricted sa50p type elites dont have this cable, my P didnt, my SR did

what you do is ziptie or use wire and tie up the pump so it is open wide open, that is safest bet
Odd, the fiche diagram for the SA50P even shows an oil cable...

So yours came without the oil cable as well? It's safe to run WOT with the idle oil level? Craziness.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

wiguy05 wrote:

So yours came without the oil cable as well? It's safe to run WOT with the idle oil level? Craziness.
It is when considering the P version is completely bottle necked at the exhaust, restricted at the variator and has smaller main jet

running WOT such a setup won't require much lube

fiche doesn't show it because they were likely lazy and didnt figure it required the extra pic. its pretty common knowledge round here that the restricted Elite S has single piece throttle cable, so go with it yo ;)

Note fiche part numbers:CABLE SET, THROTTLE
SA50 CABLE SET, THROTTLE
17920-GS7-325
SA50P CABLE SET, THROTTLE
17920-GS7-306

They are NOT the same, however PIC is the same

checkmate :lol:
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

burnt_toast wrote:
wiguy05 wrote:

It is when considering the P version is completely bottle necked at the exhaust, restricted at the variator and has smaller main jet

running WOT such a setup won't require much lube

fiche doesn't show it because they were likely lazy and didnt figure it required the extra pic. its pretty common knowledge round here that the restricted Elite S has single piece throttle cable, so go with it yo ;)

Note fiche part numbers:CABLE SET, THROTTLE
SA50 CABLE SET, THROTTLE
17920-GS7-325
SA50P CABLE SET, THROTTLE
17920-GS7-306

They are NOT the same, however PIC is the same

checkmate :lol:
So this leads WI Dude to assume that he should run the pump WOT since he has de-restricted his exhaust, vari and the airbox? That or get a cable with an oiler?

Also, any idea why my plug looked lean with the Honda-required 78 mainjet that the regular SA50 runs?
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

yes wire open or get split tcable

maybe you're riding it hard and plug range is too hot, i run no less than br8hsa just to err on safe side
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

I had the same situation with my '97 SA50P. De-restricted the exhaust, airbox, put in a Keli pulley and swapped out the 68 SA50P jet for the 78 SA50 jet. I wired my oiler wide open and if I let it sit at idle for a while I will get some nice smoke coming out once I rev it up from the excess oil that built up. I'm also contemplating what the proper plug color is and where to even look on the plug for the color. I just look at the tip and it is a light brown. I'm used to my plugs being darker than what it is showing...
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

teeoce wrote:I'm used to my plugs being darker than what it is showing...
Same here. very very very light brown at the tip, almost has me worried. Also wired my oiler @ 3/4 open for now. I'm thinking I may need to ride more to get a good plug reading, only put about 1 mile @ 1/2 throttle max.

I'll keep everyone updated. A lean(mean) burndown would force me to get a larger bore kit atleast :D
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Another thing I forgot to mention, my exhaust was stamped GOSHI on the end of the pipe. I thought I read that this was the foreign stock exhaust pipe?
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

correct, goshi is stock dio type exhaust from overseas, better flow than stock S pipe

come to think of it, just pulled my plug and it looks good overall but lighter than most at the tip

similar mods, YMS pipe OKO vari, br8hsa plug, 78main

as long as its not white i'm not worrying about it :)
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Wiguy, is your scoot a dio from Japan? Why would it have that pipe?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

teeoce wrote:Wiguy, is your scoot a dio from Japan? Why would it have that pipe?
Nope. It most definitely is not. It's a 2001 Honda Elite S that was originally restricted.

Yesterday I went to unrestrict everything on the bike, but the variator had already been done, along with a TERRIBLE job to the pipe washer. Someone had simply drilled a couple 3/8" holes into the original restricting washer. I proceeded to open up the washers place to PERFECTION with an air grinder tool. Once I got to the airbox, I noticed that the originally closed hole was RTV'ed over to close it back up. I opened this back up and installed the correct 78MJ. I double checked and there was the original Honda 68MJ in there.

So this leads me to wonder about my pipe....

Had the original ower swapped this pipe onto it? I would have to venture that he did. I'm 100% positive it said GOSHI right above the exhaust tip.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

I believe that if it is a goshi pipe it will has more flow and you should probably upjet. But I would go by the plug.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

funny enough most parts jdm ;)
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

teeoce wrote:I believe that if it is a goshi pipe it will has more flow and you should probably upjet. But I would go by the plug.
The goshi pipe has been on the scooter for over 4 years with the stock 68MJ, so not really sure if upjetting is required. The plug looks pretty light after a few more WOT runs, so I'm just gonna go with the 78MJ with the airbox and exhaust fully opened up.

Worst case scenario I burn down and then am "forced" to buy the 80cc Taiwan bore that I want :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-DI ... ccessories

Any opinions? I plan to eventually run this bore with stock intake, carb and goshi pipe. (Obviously upjetted)
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto