Buying an Elite 50... what to look for?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

chrisdee
Noob
Noob

Buying an Elite 50... what to look for?

Post by chrisdee »

Hey everybody,

I am interested in buying a used Honda Elite 50, probably from Craigslist or something like that. One of my friends recommended the Elite because it has some storage space, is reliable, and is inexpensive (or so I'm told). I am probably going to get a slightly older one, just because of price and availability - any thoughts on that?

The thing is, I'm pretty new at all this, and so I was wondering if you all had any additional information that you think is useful? Tips on where to buy these? What to look for when I go to inspect/buy one? I'm a total beginner at this, so any and all advice is really appreciated.

Thanks!
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Buying an Elite 50... what to look for?

Post by eliteguy50 »

1994-2001 elite. They have more parts available at affordable prices and are good performers in stock form (compaired to an elite e, spree, yamaha razz...).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

check the gas tank for rust. check the oil tank to make sure it is not dry. check the tire tread. these 2-strokes are very basic so there isn't much you can check without getting the tools out and pulling parts.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Since I just stepped off into this mess in January, and had my finger in my ear for a couple of months, I guess I'm a newby too, so I can relate, and have input as one newby to another.

My first, in January, was an 88 Elite E. Don't go there. Straight drive, not a lot of power, but serviceable. BUT, it takes a complete pulldown of plastic to get to the sparkplug. Since I've already got it, I'll keep it, but since you haven't bought anything yet, I recommend you start out a little later, 89 and up SA series. That was my second purchase in February. Although it died on me on the gitgo with broken ring and scored cylinder, I have learned a lot while rebuilding the top end (72cc overbore kit) and have gained respect for it. You can get to the sparkplug through a trap door in the storage compartment. E-YEH!! My third purchase, this week, is a Dio junkbasket. I bought it cheap and it will be my real learning experience. So far from what I see and hear from others, this is the best place for a newby to start... not with a junkbasket, but with a running Dio.

So bottom line, I would recommend 94 and up. That will put you into the Dio engine, lots of parts out there and more potential to upgrade. My junkbasket will probably get an overbore kit punching it up to 80cc.

There was a time when I would have advised moving up to the 4 cycle era, but the more I mess with these 2 strokers, the more I like them. It keeps me busy in the shop and out of the wife's hair.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes