JUNKYARDS... are the S***

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: JUNKYARDS... are the S***

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Since the body's trashed, me and my friend are going to mount the 125 motor on my 80 frame tonight. I bought an aftermarket temp gauge and the whole nine yards for it.

I'll post pics as it goes along.

I let my girlfriend ride my 94 Elite I got last week, now I can't get her off it..
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

Both my scooters were given to me. Guy at work was cleaning out garage.
Non running 95 Ch80 Elite. Timming chain broke, exaust valve bent, broken tail light.

Got it running. Guys at work were making fun of me. Another guy at work had a non running 86 Spree in pole barn.
Got that one running too.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

mmaannyy wrote:Both my scooters were given to me. Guy at work was cleaning out garage.
Non running 95 Ch80 Elite. Timming chain broke, exaust valve bent, broken tail light.

Got it running. Guys at work were making fun of me. Another guy at work had a non running 86 Spree in pole barn.
Got that one running too.

i have a ch80 that has missing parts, i have cleaned the carb to the hilt it idles great now but the carb piston (vaccume) doesnt open when the throtle is turned. it does move the carb arm and releases the vaccume piston but it wont raise. I have put a screw driver in the carb and lifted the piston and she revs up great??? just wondering if im missing something since i got it at the dump with parts missing (side covers, air box and some lines) the lines are all connected and it itles great!! wont start worth a d*** because it has a bad baystarter (thermo enrichment valve in the manuel) what do you think? is there a vac that is missing to suck the piston up when it is released? i thought there was a big spring inside when i took it apart. but the spring is not in the manuel so i didnt put it back in (didnt fit anyway)

here is a pic of the manuel about the carb

thanks any help would be helpfull
videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

There should be a spring on the top of the throttle slide/diaphragm. It needs to be there to balance out the vacuum pressure on the diaphragm and to return the slide to the idle position.

Most likely slide is not working because the rubber diaphragm is punctured or you did not seal it against the cap properly.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

wikked_spree57 wrote:Good god... Thay came through again. I got a Elite CH125 today, for $25...

The body is completely trashed, but, like DoubleAey says, all I had to do was "clean the carb and just ride it". It runs perfect... 50MPH.
Fix it up and make it look purdy! I will meet you again in Frankenmuth and pick it up! :D
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
surfnturf
BMX
BMX

Post by surfnturf »

I don't know if any of you guys have ever heard of Peter Egan, but he is a columnist for Cycle World and Road and Track. One of his cycle world columns involves a trip he made to his local junkyard and returned with an 85 Spree that the junkyard manager (and Egan himself) didn't want to see tossed out for no reason. Despite only having a bad oil tank valve, bad petcock, missing plastics and dead battery, he spent $232 to have a local shop get it running! Not quite a free bike in the end but still the same sort of story.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

see the only prob here is that he had a shop do the work..... man that is the fun....fixing it up yourself. why have a shop charge you 40 for a petcock when you can get it off ebay for 9 and clean the carb costs 100 when you can do it with a 3 dollar can of cleaner and a brush. makes no sense but hey thats why we are here.... to have fun fixin her up.....

videonut
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Videonut wrote:see the only prob here is that he had a shop do the work..... man that is the fun....fixing it up yourself. why have a shop charge you 40 for a petcock when you can get it off ebay for 9 and clean the carb costs 100 when you can do it with a 3 dollar can of cleaner and a brush. makes no sense but hey thats why we are here.... to have fun fixin her up.....

videonut
Ever see a carb that has been sitting with what once was full bowl of gas for the past 16 years? Sometimes it's worth paying some other poor *, or in my case I am the poor guy getting paid to clean carbs as a side job.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I hear KMcC. Search The Beast! :twisted: Like amber cement, only harder. Half-inch thick slabs in the tank, a good eighth-inch of it in the bowl. It took two days of soaking, dangling by the throttle cable, before I could pull the throttle slide out! $50 can of carb dunk, several cans of carb cleaner, acetone, MEK, the chemicals alone easily cost more than a used decent carb. Took at least 2 weeks total to sort out the fuel system altogether.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have a twin CV carb 1980 GS250 I am working on right now, it was last registered in 1993, the E tubes are soaking in brake clean right now so I can get the slides out! Said slides are attached to $120 diaphragms(that are luckily in good shape) BTW.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I Said slides are attached to $120 diaphragms(that are luckily in good shape) BTW.

yikes dont let the chemicals get on those.... but you know that im sure. how did you keep them from getting cleaner on them? they will melt away for sure....

videonut
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Gravity, just put a little on the needle, let it soak, slide out the slide. Use a rag to carefully wipe any varnish off the slide and set it off to the side. then scrape the crap out and clean the jets. The bike sort of runs now(on a squirt bottle, semi auto petcock isn't doing its job) but is leaking oil very very badly from what looks to be the head gasket :shock:. I think it's at least hitting on both cylinders now!
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I've totally forgotten about this post. How I wish the junkyard would come up with another scooter.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)