Shopping Spree (a long, not very entertaining story)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

adark248
Elite
Elite

Shopping Spree (a long, not very entertaining story)

Post by adark248 »

Just a story about trying to find a new scoot. It's long because I'm excited. It's not that interesting, so feel free to skip to the end. Nothing blows up, explodes, no one dies or falls out of a truck, my uncle doesn't almost run me over on a lawn-mower and the police aren't involved. If you're looking for those kinds of stories see "Technical Help"

My wife turns 24 on the 13th, and a few weeks ago I was lookin at scoots on Ebay and I jokingly said "I'll buy you a scooter for your birthday." She was excited about it so I kept looking and found a Spree on Craigslist. She saw one on Ebay that was the Spree special with the white and sea foam green, and I contacted the guy because she wasn't a fan of the other Sprees. I told her we could paint them but she just wasn't excited about the black or red ones I could find. The guy had a reserve of 500 on a non working Spree, no title, nothing. So I looked again and found a $300 Spree near my parents house. My wife is a photographer and had a wedding booked last Friday near the Spree. Emailed the guy and told him without a title I could pay $200 max, and he said he'd take 200 if I came at 5 PM. The wedding started at 6, so I called and got him to come home from work a little early and booked it an hour and ten minutes to my parents house, then to his place. We drove by and the thing looked immaculate so I got super pumped. Then I got up close and he took the panels off and I almost died. So disappointed! The thing was full of cob webs, he had it hooked up to a truck trying to jump it off what I can only assume is the original battery, the floorboard didn't even look like it fit. I spent like 5 minutes trying to convince him to stop spraying starter fluid into it. He kept telling me it was running right before I got there, like he had to prove it to me. I asked if I could kick start it and he looked at me like I was crazy, apparently not knowing that the battery really doesn't run the engine. I kicked it and it popped and burnt up the fluid. I stopped because I didn't want it to switch on and then have to pay more, lol. There was no way the tires were gonna hold air, no rear signals/rack, needed both brake cables and the plastic was spray painted red (which is why it looked so good from a distance) but was peeling, etc. I was bummed out because I really want a scoot so my wife can cruise with me. I told him I'd pay 160 and he told me that he had another guy coming in like an hour (I'm assuming that was *). I went ahead and busted out my cash, paid the 200, lifted it into my car, put my shirt and suit jacket back on and went to the wedding :D I may be the only person who ever took a scooter to a wedding in the back of their Jeep Cherokee. BTW Sprees fit into the hatch of a Jeep like no bodies business. My Aero requires all kinds of jostling and deflating the tires, but the Spree practically made a snapping noise it fit so well.

I took almost all the webs out, I think I destroyed a few new species of genetically altered Honda spiders, which I've named Spreeders. Weirdest looking translucent spider things, creepy stuff. I cleaned as much as I felt comfortable taking apart. The carb was full of white calcium looking deposits, spark plug was junky and black but sparked. Mechanically all I did was clean the carb, and clean a ton of rust out of the tank. Kicked her like 5 times and boom, running like a bat out of *. I think all it needs is some cosmetic stuff, a new paint job, a new center stand and maybe a carb rebuild kit cause it's getting wet with gas on the outside so I think the gasket between the bowl and top is shot.

I felt like a champ, having very little scooter experience since I've only had my Aero a year. I was worried that I dropped 200 on a POS for a few hours after I bought it, but I think it turned out to be a good buy. Having the engine running has to increase the value by a hundred or so ;) Once I get the title mess figured out and paint her (wife's still debating on colors) its going to be freakin nice and worth a ton more. I can't wait to get out on the road. We're gonna load up a tent and some s'mores and ride out to a state park nearby for weekend camping. Oh god, the plans I'm making... so stoked. I've been trying to find some 50cc scooterists nearby to ride with to no avail. My wife is really excited, too. So all in all, it was worth the money. Sure, I didn't really have 200 dollars to spend and if I did have that much money, I should've paid off some of my credit card, but f*** it, you only live once and when we hit 40 I start being fiscally responsible. We all owe it to ourselves to be awesome and ride 50ccs.

Sorry for the longest post in history. Just thought people might like to hear a success story. Plus I had nothing to do for the last 20 minutes, lol :lol:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: Shopping Spree (a long, not very entertaining story)

Post by CaptDan »

adark248 wrote:Sorry for the longest post in history. Just thought people might like to hear a success story. Plus I had nothing to do for the last 20 minutes, lol :lol:
No prob. I read every word and enjoyed it.

How many miles does your wife's new toy have? Sounds like you did well, sir.

CaptDan>
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

haha, well congrats! that's quite a story. but still a good buy.

For the paint, don't make the same mistake i made, use engine enamel on medal parts, because i used high temp flat black rustolium, and it came right off as soon as the tiniest bit of gas hit it!

Hope you and your wife have a good time riding!!!

~toboggan
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Spreeders. That's funny. I find those all the time. Compressed air makes quick work of them.

Use Krylon Fusion (or equiv) and proper plastic paint prep and painting will be no issue.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
GlynnC
Noob
Noob

Post by GlynnC »

Good story, and told with passion! By the way, the carb is probably leaking due to the float valve not seating properly--do a search on this. Many Many topics on this subject.
87 Honda Spree
86 Honda Spree
stooley13
Noob
Noob

Post by stooley13 »

Congrats to the latest addition to your family!!! I hope getting it back to 100% goes smoothly and you enjoy your camping trips :)
1986 Spree
1986 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pics please! In no particular order:

Spreeders
Cleaned-up Spree before and after
24 year-old Spousal Unit.

Wheelman-111
AKA
DOM*
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

I took almost all the webs out, I think I destroyed a few new species of genetically altered Honda spiders, which I've named Spreeders
ROFL!!!!!!

That was soooo funny. The story was great too. Im trying to convince my wife to let me buy her a Spree too but shes not fond of the idea after nearly crashing mine (dont ask..).
There a fun Scooter and i LOVE mine.

I paid $350 for a 86 Black Spree with Title. It needed alot of TLC too but now looks immaculate and im very proud of what ive done to it thus far....even if it did take up more money and time that i could have spent fixing up my Mustang lol.

And get some pics!
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Pics please! In no particular order:

Spreeders
Cleaned-up Spree before and after
24 year-old Spousal Unit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw another Spreeder today. Maybe the biggest one yet. I didn't get a pic though. Next time I see one I'll bust out my phone.

Unfortunately I failed to take pictures of the webs and junk before I cleared them out. Although if I took a pic right now you'd all think it was still dirty. Since I'm not a scooter master I'm weary of taking too much apart for cleaning for fear of mucking it up.

Not the best pics (cell phone camera, in the garage at night, etc)

In no particular order, as per request:

Pepper (on the left):

24 Year Old Spousal Unit (she prefers to go by Samantha):

Spreeders:
Artist interpretation, some artistic license was used in this rendering
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
BajaErin
Noob
Noob

Post by BajaErin »

LMAO!!

Very good.

Well, we are over 40 and still bought another spree instead of putting it on a credit card. haha It was a decent deal for a "parts" bike with no title via craigslist and a trip to Santa Cruz (50+ miles I think). Darn thing was in great shape body wise and only suppose to have an ignition or starter area issue. Now we have three (Oh, well).
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Adark,
Nice pics, like seeing a pair of Hondas and a family riding together. Mind you the scooters were noted first. But then note Mrs S has a grip on our favorite control. A natural scooterist, I predict a day when an offhand 'I really like the Aero better, would you mind riding the Spree like from now on' pops out :) Happy riding to both!
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

mousewheels wrote:Adark,
Nice pics, like seeing a pair of Hondas and a family riding together. Mind you the scooters were noted first. But then note Mrs S has a grip on our favorite control. A natural scooterist, I predict a day when an offhand 'I really like the Aero better, would you mind riding the Spree like from now on' pops out :) Happy riding to both!
When the day comes, I'll be so proud.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree