Spark plug question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Red Baron
Noob
Noob

Spark plug question

Post by Red Baron »

Hello all!

In my owner's manual, it mentions "If driving at high speed for long distances, switch to colder spark plug".

What is the standard? What is considered "long distances"?

I need inputs guys.

Thanks.
Proud owner of a 1989 Elite R
Wheelman-111

Re: Spark plug question

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

BPR6 HSA is standard.
BPR8 HSA is the plug for very hot climes and/or prolonged WOT.
Honda lists a BPR4 HSA for trips north of the arctic circle.

NGK has a BPR7 HS (No "A") which seems to be a good compromise between the easily-fouled 8 and the hotter-running 6.
I found mine at O'Reilly's for under $3.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Red Baron
Noob
Noob

Post by Red Baron »

Thanks!

Yes both 6 and 8 are mentionned in the book, and I did see something about the 4 on the net, but nothing on the 7.

Still, is riding at full speed for 10 minutes considered enough to replace to an 8, or is it an hour?

I don't ride very far, the scoot is only for fun, but I'd like to keep it as long as possible, and I certainly don't want a hole in the center of the piston... :cry:

What I'll do is get an 8 in case I decide to go to work with the scooter, which is a 56km commute, just for the fun of it. If it gets warm (yes it does up here in the Great White North during the summer), I'll get a 7 as per your suggestion.

Thanks again.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

BPR6 HSA is standard.
BPR8 HSA is the plug for very hot climes and/or prolonged WOT.
Honda lists a BPR4 HSA for trips north of the arctic circle.

NGK has a BPR7 HS (No "A") which seems to be a good compromise between the easily-fouled 8 and the hotter-running 6.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Wheelman reveals:

I find O'Reilly is bogus to the EQUIVILENT of a $3 'bill.'

:o 8) :lol:

(I kid Mr FOXnooze. :wink: )

CaptDan>
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If going WOT over 1 minute I would run the 8.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
stooley13
Noob
Noob

Post by stooley13 »

Is running the 6 WOT for extended time periods really going to mess things up & if it does why/what will get messed up? What about the Autolite 4123 from autozone that is listed here on the forum as a replacement...anyone know the temp range on that plug?
1986 Spree
1986 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Running a Spree or stock engine is not the same as a modified mill. The power output determines the heat production in large measure. Outside temps, oil ratios, jetting and yes, plug heat range add their variables, but an engine producing 3-5 HP is less at risk than one putting out 8 or more at RPMs never anticipated by Honda-san. If you've run your Spree with a #6 for several minutes at WOT without self-destruction, there's your evidence that a 6 is just fine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Wheelman-111 wrote: If you've run your Spree with a #6 for several minutes at WOT without self-destruction, there's your evidence that a 6 is just fine.
Sounds like the best way to test. Will post pics of results tomorrow.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

i run a B7HS ngk and it works good.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I'm having a problem finding a 6. Local owned auto store and Autozone don't have it. I like the color on the 6, nice gray. Conditions are variable, seldom WOT. What's next best option after the 6?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

I have used the BPR8 HSA for a while now and it seems to fit my bill nicely. I often take long commutes on the Spree been at WOT for several miles.No damage to report thus far :)
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

your plug should be a nice lite tan color not grey. grey means it's running to lean or to hot.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

toofast34 wrote:your plug should be a nice lite tan color not grey. grey means it's running to lean or to hot.
I digress. Since I'm on the semi-colorblind side, it may be tan. But it's not LIGHT gray or whitish. It's a darker color, clean and not sooty.

I bit the bullet the other day, as I was in the Honda store anyway, and bought a couple of #6 plugs for $3.60 apiece.
Red Baron
Noob
Noob

Post by Red Baron »

Ok, got myself a BPR8HS, I'm told the HSA is no longer produced by NGK :shock: , I'll be able to try it and check it after a while, if it fits my style better than the BPR6HS (again, I'm told the HSA is no longer available) since I want to ride at max speed for a long commute I want to do. The "A" meant it was a cooler version, sort of a half way between 6 and 7 (7HS, 6HSA, 6HS, etc.)

Will report later. The 6HS I removed was tan colored, and I only did city driving. If the 8HS is fouled, will go back to the 6HS. I did notice a lack of power immediately, but it was very humid and that's normal, so I read on the NGK website's tech infos, did loose a few km/h. Will wait to have a beautiful warm day to really compare.

By the way, forgive my ignorance, but what does "WOT" stand for?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

(again, I'm told the HSA is no longer available)
They lie. I just bought two BPR6HSA plugs from Honda house this week. If that's a local auto parts house, they want to keep your business by selling you something else. But buy what works and is available. I'm 25 miles from Honda House and understand. I had to be in town on other business and also to order a tire for my Helix or I might not have bought it.

WOT can mean many things but in this context, it means Wide Open Throttle.