Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jstone
Elite
Elite

Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Post by jstone »

I seen one of these for sale in town for only 2500 bucks. 2007, 1000 miles, looks brand new. So it got me thinking about what a new one costs. I checked the Kawi site and much to my surprise the MSRP on a new '08 is only $3500! So I've read a few hundred reviews and am very seriously considering getting one now. Nobody has very many bad things to say about these bikes, and they look just like a bigger bike, so the curb appeal is great. Anybody know anything about these, have one, have any experiences with one, etc? I plan on getting one in the next few months, if not sooner.

A blue one, my favorite color... I think.

And here is the sanjuro\z50r-blank\burnt_toast version :P

About the best one I've seen yet.

Last edited by jstone on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

They are the Dios of the tiny supersports. Nobody has bothered with HiPo 250s in this country for years, so Kawasaki has had the market all to itself. The bikes are bulletproof, easily approach 90 +MPH and do it all day long. If you swap in a Dio, even faster... :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

I have been wanting one for a while.

They are super cheap and good bikes. Best part is, being such a small motor you can keep the RPM's up and have fun without killing yourself. Sure its nots the fastest bike in the world. But IMO its a very reasonable bike.

Look around on craigslist sometime, you can pick them up used for d*** near as cheap as a dio.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

It will beat most cars, gets 50+ mpg, has a comfortable riding position, and I'd assume due to the light weight it should handle pretty well also.

Unfortunately all the squids on sportbikes will laugh at you, as will 95% of the general public. Sure it's more than they can handle at 10/10'ths, but they don't care. If you can deal with being misunderstood by idiots, it's a sensible bike.
I would consider one, but in that size and price range I'd rather build a supermoto, but that's because I'm a reckless hooligan at heart.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Yeah I'm not worried about what people say. I live in a super small town and not very many people have bikes, so people won't say much. At first I thought it would just be a great beginner bike, but the more I read about it, the more I think I could ride it for awhile. I don't need something fast, I just want something to cruise in and save gas.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you can also get a cpi-gtr 50 same size and with a 70cc bore kit,mine does 90mph all day long plus its a very big legal moped.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Post by slosquirrel »

All I can say is SUPERMOTO!!!

Not that im bias or anything :wink:

I've had a few friends with these when they were first starting out on street bikes (but they were the old body style). They are a great bike to learn on, and the new ones look great. But even the modded ones I've ridden have left me a little dissapointed. When they're piped up and tuned out they can make all sorts of noise when you lace into the throttle, but thats about it.

I will say I haven't ridden the newer body style yet, and Im not sure if they changed much. But they are a good starting point, inexpensive, reliable, and you won't be AS likely to kill yourself first time out on it. Not to mention the new ones look 10X better than the old ones!

I love anything with two-wheels and a motor. I do have my supermoto, and just got back from a spin on the V-Strom 1000, but I still love all my 50cc scooters too! So maybe more displacement doesn't mean more enjoyment? :D
2003---Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2001---Yamaha WR 426 Supermoto (CA legal)
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1996---Honda Elite SR (Only 4.7 Orig. Miles)
1989---Honda Elite E (FOR SALE)
1987---Honda Elite SE
TURN1
Spree
Spree

Post by TURN1 »

maddog wrote:you can also get a cpi-gtr 50 same size and with a 70cc bore kit,mine does 90mph all day long plus its a very big legal moped.
90mph and 90kph is a big difference :lol:

Regarding OP question, the 250r is a great bike in general. Very common bike to see in Honolulu, Hawaii since you don't really need a big bike to get around an island.

Screw what other people think or say. I still ride my 1989 Honda cruiser to work daily.

Good luck with your decision.

Here's my daily driver:

It's the yellow naked cruiser in the pics. I lead every ride. My little old Honda hangs with my friend on the Red Ducati 999, and he's a seasoned track rider. Sometimes I bring my Ducati 998 out to play, but I love spanking liter bikes on my little old Honda cruiser, haha.

Pass on the ALOHA Spirit!!!