ped dying out

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

808stalion
Goped
Goped

ped dying out

Post by 808stalion »

ok just went put one 17.5 arcche carb on my afo5e motor and everything else stock so he start up then when i start riding its going good but as soon as i stop and the rev start going down the bike dies out then i goto wait for like 10 min then he start back up then its fine again its only when i need to stop thats when he start acting up

plug is good
no more vac leak

any idea what could be going on?????

wheelman do i need a bigger bore or my stock bore can handle?????
702 ISLAND BOYZ DA RIO DIO
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Re: ped dying out

Post by Arnadanoob »

First, check the petcock, see if it's working correctly.

Then check the float. When it dies out next time, stop the bike then pull the bowl out and see if there's fuel.

Check the conditions of the reeds. Bad reeds will affect lower rpm operation more than higher rpms.

Is the carb clean?
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
808stalion
Goped
Goped

Post by 808stalion »

petcok is all good i just went take my ministroke off that bike and ya the carb is clean reeds is all good i just bought the that set up that wheelman was selling and just went mod my uni filter to the carb
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

How old is the plug? If it's old replace with new one and try again.

Maybe the spark not jumping strong enough or the gap too wide from being old.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

If you just bought the carb off of him, its tuned for a Polini big bore kit and leovince exhaust setup. He also had the different intake manifold I think. You may need to down jet
808stalion
Goped
Goped

Post by 808stalion »

he went throw in the intake with the carb but ya maybe goto down jet the carb i never worked with this kind of carb before do you no what size jets i will need for it everything is all stock
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I have no idea. PM Wheelman-111 as he is very helpful, especially with you buying his carb I'm sure he's even more willing. I haven't seen him much on here for the past few days, I hope he's okay :cry:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Wheelman might be on vacation. If he's like me, he doesn't carry a laptop and wireless on vacation. That's what vacation is for... to get away from it all... I don't carry a laptop but did carry my two small scooters. :roll:

I'm watching this thread with great interest as I had a similar problem on my Elite "E" SB50. Engine would stall out every couple of miles. It would restart though much quicker than 10 minutes, just enough time to visually check the gas tank, as in pull the cap. At first I thought I had a cap problem and creating a vacuum in the tank, but running with cap loose didn't make any difference. OH... another problem I had was with gas leaking and flooding out of the bowl overflow. I figured the problem was in the float valve. My petcock was froze in the open position. I had plenty of gas, in fact too much, judging by the flooding.

I eventually ended up replacing with a carb I bought on ebay which had a different kind of problem. Still not sure what my original problem was.

Since your scoot is dying when you stop, I suspect it's flooding. I'm having an identical similar problem on my riding lawnmower right now. A different type carb I've never been into. It generally takes about 10 minutes for it to dry out and restart, similar to your problem. Being over-jetted may cause rich mixture and plug fouling but not flooding.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
808stalion
Goped
Goped

Post by 808stalion »

ya i thinks its flooding cuz when it died out i i droped the fuel bowl and it was full to the max i need to down jet it big time i just need to see if theres a shop here in vegas that carrys this kind of carb so i can get some jets for now till i get my bore from vt cycles
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

You might ask Wheelman, but I don't think changing the jet will help you on your immediate problem of dying at stop sign. This sounds like it's more in the area of the bowl float/valve.

How does the spark plug look?
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I'm with arnadanoob on this one. He knows his s***. As for the luny one I don't know bout him :P
But common sense tells me that its not the carb due to the fact that he was running close to 60mph on his aero right before he sold it . The carb that motor came from is not a stock motor. The carb was tuned for his motor. Why would you even try to use that carb on a stock motor? Stock motor should use the stock carb. Just my 2 cents. :roll:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Brad, that's why they call me "Luny". :lol: I have a good friend whose last name is Looney and has a daughter my son's age. We casually tried to get them to date, maybe marriage, but she didn't care for the moniker that would be hung on her. Now you should be able to figure out what my last name is. :idea:

arnadanoob is also looking at the carb, but not necessarily the main jet. It is not difficult to get foreign matter in a carb when R&R and moving to new situation. My thinking is a piece of trash could be stuck under the float valve.

stalion, how was the bike running with the old carb and why did you change? If the old carb is functional, put it back on and see if that solves the problem.

BTW, word of warning if this is your first rodeo, be careful torquing the bolts. I'm an ex-truck mechanic and don't know my own strength. It's easy to pull the threads on these aluminum carbs. I got one in my tool box for show and tell.
808stalion
Goped
Goped

Post by 808stalion »

ya i no he was running it on his motor but he also said that the carb wasnt to big for a stock motor also i just need to down jet the carb cuz when i had it on i was still doing around 38 to 40 mph on a af05e motor all stock besides the carb so its quick for all stock so dont tell me what i was thinking 8)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

808stalion wrote:ya i no he was running it on his motor but he also said that the carb wasnt to big for a stock motor also i just need to down jet the carb cuz when i had it on i was still doing around 38 to 40 mph on a af05e motor all stock besides the carb so its quick for all stock so dont tell me what i was thinking 8)
I think you missed my point. We're all trying to help. Point of the question was did you replace the carb because the old one died, or because you were wanting more power. BTW, 38-40 mph is pretty good for a SA50. That's my WOT with an overbore, but I do have plenty of power.

The jet from your old carb might work. Give it a try.
808stalion
Goped
Goped

Post by 808stalion »

and no this is not my first bike i dont ussally mess with this kind of carb i had many suped up bike that was 70+mph its just my first time messing with a af05e motor to see how fast i can make this puppy go i got my bore kit coming in soon thats the main reason i bought this carb its going for my stunt bike that im putting together

heres some of the bikes