85 and 87 spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

rkendrick429
Noob
Noob

85 and 87 spree

Post by rkendrick429 »

how close are the '85 and '87 as far as parts swapping
'87 Spree found molested and abused in front of a 17yr olds house
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 85 and 87 spree

Post by bradthreee »

I would say that 95% of the parts are interchangable. I would have said 99%, but earlier today I found out that 87 cables are different than your 85. If you are considering putting 87 parts on your 85 I would start with the kickstart coversion, followed but the 87 side panels, headset with handlebars, front binkers with glovebox, and of course that pretty taillight/rear rack combo. Keep us updated! :mrgreen:
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

the big difference between the two is the electrical harness. any panels off any of the years will interchange. the 87 did have the different dash and handle bars along with the different tail light. the 84-85 has the 2 wire hook up for the fuel sensor, and the bystarter. also the pick up coil on the engine has its own ground. the 86-87 has the 3 wire hook up for the fuel sensor, and a single clip for the bystarter. the pick up coil is only 1 wire. u can still make everything work if u have a lot of time cutting and splicing. hope this helps. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

chevyguyjay wrote:the big difference between the two is the electrical harness.
8)
Also, the fuel petcock's thread diameters are different between 84-85 and 86/87. Can't recall which series featured the wider diameter, but if memory serves it was the later vintage.

CaptDan>