White walls

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Fishman43
Elite
Elite

White walls

Post by Fishman43 »

I just emailed the guy from this website about his White Wall tire paint.

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

Has anyone tried it on their scooter tires? If so I would like to hear opinions and ideas.

I also just ordered two new tires from Motorcyle Supperstore, I will try to remember to take pictures and post when I do the work.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: White walls

Post by GIJoeBob »

Fishman43 wrote:I just emailed the guy from this website about his White Wall tire paint.

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

Has anyone tried it on their scooter tires? If so I would like to hear opinions and ideas.

I also just ordered two new tires from Motorcyle Supperstore, I will try to remember to take pictures and post when I do the work.
I am interested to hear how it goes. I would like to use this to get some whitewalls on my spree.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I will post when I get all the supplies. I just ordered new tires from Motorcycle Superstore, and ordered the tire paint (comes from the Netherlands :o ). The tires wont get here before July 3rd, I don't know when the paint will come. Hopefully at the same time, waiting isn't my strongest suit and it take 24 hours between each coat with a minimum of 3 coats recomended.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

keep us updated, I'm looking for whitewalls, too. I saw some of that paint but didnt want to be the guinea pig
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I just recieved the following email:

Thank you for your order. The paint will be mailed tomorrow.
The normal delivery time to New Hampshire is around one week.

Before you paint the tires, please make sure to clean them well with a silicone remover, available in all shops selling auto paint.

The tires should be inflated with normal air pressure when painted.

It is good to warm the paint a little prior to painting, making it thinner and easier to handle.

To keep the whitewalls clean and free from discoloration, use Westley┬┤s Bleche-Wite:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rhf_s_1/ ... %20cleaner

Best regards,
Orn Sigurdsson

So I guess the paint should be here just before the tires. Good times, I will be spending the 4th of July weekend painting rubber :|
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Found some "old school" white wall inserts(for you young ins they are whitewalls that you put on between the tire and rim).On the web at Universal Vintage Tire.When this set of tires wear out,you can put them on the next set of tires.If they are like the old sets they are white all the way through.They are $6.50 each (need 2 per wheel) 10"-1 1/8".They have 8",14"(think I'll get a set for my Express),16",18' also.Look in the sale/clearance dept.Wow just think white wall Michelin S1s.Happy trails,Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

carp wrote:Found some "old school" white wall inserts(for you young ins they are whitewalls that you put on between the tire and rim).On the web at Universal Vintage Tire.When this set of tires wear out,you can put them on the next set of tires.If they are like the old sets they are white all the way through.They are $6.50 each (need 2 per wheel) 10"-1 1/8".They have 8",14"(think I'll get a set for my Express),16",18' also.Look in the sale/clearance dept.Wow just think white wall Michelin S1s.Happy trails,Carp
So they wrap around the bead of the tire? Do they use any kind of adhesive?
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

I really don't know on ether question.I've never used them,just remember them from catalogs from when I was a kid.I know they were popular back in the late 40's through 60's.I'll contact Universal tire with that question.I'll post their answers.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

I saw some of those on a Chinese website but I couldn't read it. My Chinese is so rusty :roll: They appeared to be just hard plastic that was held by pressure between rim and tire. I don't know if Carp is talking about the same thing, and they were way more expensive.

Please do keep us updated on this if you give them a call, because I would seriously consider that option.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Those insert type white walls can be a little funky and cheap lloking. They tend to wrinkle away from the tire pretty quickly so you end up with wavy whitewalls. And once that happens as you drive down the road the wind will get behind them and actualy hold them away from the tire. That is why I am going with the paint, it is permanently attached to the tire, one can is supposed to do four car tires with two coats each so it should last a long time only using it on scoot tires making the cost really reasonable!
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

I forgot about that.Probably why i remember seeing them(if they didn't look odd why would I have known that they weren't regular ww.You folks would have been real"happy"with me when those things started flapping like 'aunt Betty's"under arm flab at the last family picnic.May the wind i your face not be full of bugs,Carp
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

The paint showed up in the mail yesterday, so for now at least I know that the company is legit and not just scamming money for nothing. They said it would be here last Friday, but considering it came by mail and Fri/Sat were USPS holidays they had the transit time right on. My wife and I have house guests this week, so it will be next before I get to the project. Updates to continue as I get them.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Fishman43 wrote:The paint showed up in the mail yesterday, so for now at least I know that the company is legit and not just scamming money for nothing. They said it would be here last Friday, but considering it came by mail and Fri/Sat were USPS holidays they had the transit time right on. My wife and I have house guests this week, so it will be next before I get to the project. Updates to continue as I get them.
Thanks for the update.