New rubber floor mats (possible)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jstone
Elite
Elite

New rubber floor mats (possible)

Post by jstone »

I got an idea from work for some new floor mats for sprees. I wire wayside crossing houses that railroads use. The floor of the houses are covered in good rubber, and every once in awhile we have to cut a square out to put a rack in. Now none of that concerns you guys, but that square is just large enough to cover a spree floorboard. We just throw it away usually, but I've started saving it and am going to make some floorboard covers out of it.

One side of it has ridges, and the other side is mostly flat. The way the floorboard is made, you can use either side of the rubber mat.

These are still in sort of a "testing" stage right now, and when I get it how I want it, they will be VERY limited. Only because I may only be able to get my hands on 1-2 a week.

Anyways, heres some pics of the prototype, appreciate any feedback!

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: New rubber floor mats (possible)

Post by bradthreee »

I think that looks great! The only concern would be how to avoid the mat raising or falling off @ high speeds. Maybe you could use velcro strips?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

jstone wrote:I got an idea from work for some new floor mats for sprees.
bradthreee wrote:The only concern would be how to avoid the mat raising or falling off @ high speeds.
LOL....what?

Too bad the Elite floorboard is much bigger, those are nice mats!
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Has anyone thought about stainless steel floor panel? I saw it on another honda somewhere
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

ya at the super high speed of 32mph i would be afraid that it would whip up and hit me in the nards......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no just kidding but if you had some kind of way to hold it down. No on the velcro. the glue is just too........well it wont work. maybe a cool bracket that makes it so you can use the 4 bolts to hold it on. but then the lead edge will fly up...... well im sure you can figure it out.......

Rivets??? then i gotta drill holes.

ill stick to diamond plating aluminum. very nice
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

To hold it down, I was just figuring you could get longer bolts that would go up through the rubber. Use a washer, and find something as a spacer to fill the gap under then rubber where the bolt usually sits, and voila! I'll have to actually use it to see, which isn't going to happen because my spree is tore apart and will be for awhile.

I'm planning on sending the first good one I do to somebody with a cherry spree, as long as they'll take good pictures of it for me to show off. I'm GUESSING the leg shield will be enough to keep the wind away from the lead edge, not to mention you will have your feet on it too. I don't see holding it down as a big problem...

And if I sell these, I'll include the bolts, washers, and spacers with it as a kit so its just plug and play.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I don't have a spree but I do have an Elite "E", which is also little and narrow floorboard. It's not cherry, but in pretty good shape.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

I might could do it for an elite. The only one I know of that I could use though is a late 80's model.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

jstone wrote:I might could do it for an elite. The only one I know of that I could use though is a late 80's model.
I didn't think about you needing a pattern. I'm sure mine is close in size, but still not exact configuration. Frame is same as I understand, but panels are different. Yes, you probably would need a pattern. Mine is 1988. They were only made for 2-3 years, 1988-1990.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

jstone wrote:To hold it down, I was just figuring you could get longer bolts that would go up through the rubber. Use a washer, and find something as a spacer to fill the gap under then rubber where the bolt usually sits, and voila! I'll have to actually use it to see, which isn't going to happen because my spree is tore apart and will be for awhile.

I'm planning on sending the first good one I do to somebody with a cherry spree, as long as they'll take good pictures of it for me to show off. I'm GUESSING the leg shield will be enough to keep the wind away from the lead edge, not to mention you will have your feet on it too. I don't see holding it down as a big problem...

And if I sell these, I'll include the bolts, washers, and spacers with it as a kit so its just plug and play.

i have a pretty cherry spree i will do it for ya then ill pay for the mat if i like it..

Videonut

86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

what about attaching a spacer of some sort and a nice magnet to the underside, so that you can just lay it down and it'll snap onto the floorboard bolts? Would that be workable? That way you'd get the nice clean look in your pics and it would still hold firmly to the bike. I would be interested in one of these, maybe my wife will want it for her Spree after we get it all painted and everything.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Off topic sorry........

But I love the knobbys on that Spree!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

adark248 wrote:what about attaching a spacer of some sort and a nice magnet to the underside, so that you can just lay it down and it'll snap onto the floorboard bolts? Would that be workable? That way you'd get the nice clean look in your pics and it would still hold firmly to the bike. I would be interested in one of these, maybe my wife will want it for her Spree after we get it all painted and everything.
What kind of spacer? Like a washer? How bout this? Get some of those little magnets like the cute note holder things the wife puts on the refrigerator. I'm sure you could find them in a craft store. Glue them to the rubber with gorilla glue, maybe lined up with the floorboard bolts. The magnets would cling to the bolts or floorboard.
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

I like the idea of that aftermarket mat. Maybe after you figure out that spacing issue, you could make some kits and sell them :)

As for that all black spree, that looks exactly like mine with all the black parts, except my wheels are silver. But after seeing those black wheels, thats next on my to-do list!
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Hey Videonut:

How do those tires ride on the road? What size are they - they look a bit bigger than 2.50 x 10?
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc