got my ruckus variator today!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

got my ruckus variator today!

Post by evilone »

I got my Ruckus variator today. I was pretty happy since i just had the bad experience with Scooter-assassins. It came with variator and ramp plate, no slides. I found it was binding up and looked closer...

The slides must have broken off and owner kept riding metal to metal :shock:. So now i have a new one coming from dealer. I do like how snug the new slides are on the ramp plate. I had to push them on. * me off the seller didn't find broken slides when he took cover off, MAYBE he didn't know what they were?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: got my ruckus variator today!

Post by devenex »

That sucks.

So are stock ruckus variators better than the performance ones (OKO, Keli, etc.)? Seems like a lot of people are starting to use them now.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

i'd bet same as stock kymco vari's are nearly OKO equivalent
projects galore :nerd:
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Hello Evilone,Not knowing all the details ,but looking at those pics,that damage seems obvious,why else did he unload,sorry"sell"said screwed up,sorry"just fine,usable"part,shouldn't send any hate his way(yeah right).I'd find a"hit man",one paid close to the same you paid for the parts(at least said"hit man"could give him a good kick in the .......shins).If this guy lives close(100mi)I'll gladly do you the favour(got to work on my own karma).I truly mean that!!! ALL JOKING ASIDE.Why take advantage of each other,especially within our own community?We are all here,basically,for the same reason.To have fun with our scoots and "IT'S NO G&d D*$m F%$KING FUN"getting jacked by some low life(listen to me ,a bottom feeder myself).Sorry to rant and rave but we as a"community"should not put up with anyone of us getting ripped off.I've had good dealings on/in this forum.What do you say,lets try to be straight/honest with each other.Again sorry to rant and rave but I get * OFF when good people get screwed.What do the rest of you think? All wigged out,agian,Carp.ps.realy,if this as%@ole is close (lets say 150mi I'll go kick him in the shin and tell him why).p.s.s.there goes my rep. as a easy go lucky,not very serious *.p.s.s.s.I'd tell him to give back the money,or your going to put up billboards all over his home town!!!!!!!!Sorry about any miss spelling,I had to triple up on my meds.
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Meds justt kiicckingg innnn.Duudde thhaattt sssuuucckkksssssss!!!!III'''''mmmm sslleeeeeeppyyyyy,bbbyyyyeeeeee CCCCaarrppppp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

carp wrote:Meds justt kiicckingg innnn.Duudde thhaattt sssuuucckkksssssss!!!!III'''''mmmm sslleeeeeeppyyyyy,bbbyyyyeeeeee CCCCaarrppppp

What the f***?!?! hahahahaha
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

:lol: @ carp.

Seller replied:

"Just a thought.. the damage that appears to only help the process of the variator actions.. Have you tried to use it yet? It seems as if the slopes are well lubricated / worn providing for a greater incline in the rolling process. Just a thought though.."

:?: :?: :?:

One of the damaged slide posts even had a metal sliver sticking out :roll:
I asked for $8 refund for shipping and he could keep $20 i paid for it. I still needed the ramp anyways.
Last edited by evilone on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

devenex wrote:So are stock ruckus variators better than the performance ones (OKO, Keli, etc.)? Seems like a lot of people are starting to use them now.
I've heard a lot of good things about them. You know the flat spot at end of ramp in variator where rollers stop? Stock 94-01 elite flat spot is 10mm, OKO flat spot is 8mm, and Ruckus flat spot is 6mm. So the rollers travel furthest of the 3 in the Ruckus variator.
burnt_toast wrote:i'd bet same as stock kymco vari's are nearly OKO equivalent
Not sure about the Kymco but the OKO ramp plate doesn't fit Ruckus variator. Ruckus variator and ramp plate are both bigger diameter. I just woke up recently but will get diameter measurements later.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

evilone wrote::lol: @ carp.

Seller replied:

"Just a thought.. the damage that appears to only help the process of the variator actions.. Have you tried to use it yet? It seems as if the slopes are well lubricated / worn providing for a greater incline in the rolling process. Just a thought though.."

:?: :?: :?:

The Seller <----------------------------------------------> A Clue
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I was just going to post on this variator thingy. I wasn't sure wether to get a plain HS Vari, a HS vari for the ruckus, or a STOCK Ruckus vari. That answers my ?.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Stock 94-01 elite variator diameter is about 88mm, The Ruckus variator is about 93mm. I'm assuming oko diameter is same as stock...it looks same.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Hello Evilone,So your putting that on a '94-'01 Elite SA50 ?Just caught on to that trick. Any info on any problems/alterations needed to do this ? Just swap out variator and its ready to go?That's sounds good.Thanks.Carp....P.S. took my meds when I got up this morning,what a beauuutiful day.....P.S. tell me where he lives, I WILL KICK HIM IN THE SHINS,oops, need more meds.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I'll post results when variator comes in and i install it. Yes it's going in my 94 sa50. Some other forum members have put the ruckus variator in their Aeros. I'm not sure if anyone put the variator in a 94-01 sa50 yet.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

For we of short crankshaft stature ... :oops: ... can someone get a measurement of the thickness of the assembly?
Measuring from the ramp plate center hole to the tip of the drive face "cone" would help me/us assess whether or not the Ruck vario will allow the belt to run down to center, which has been an issue with some aftermarket variators designed for the AF16 when mounted to the older SE/05 block and cranks. Thicker variators sit too close to the starter half of the pulley and the stock belt can't get all the way down toward center.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Measuring from the ramp plate center hole to the tip of the drive face "cone"
I'm getting 27mm. Variator face down on table with rollers and ramp plate installed, measuring with caliper from top of plate center hole to the table.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.