Aero broke down

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Aero Fifty

Aero broke down

Post by Aero Fifty »

Well my girlfriends 85 Aero 50 broke down yesterday. She said it made a loud noise and lost all power and eventually shut off. I was out of town and took it home in a truck this morning. I did manage to get it started but it definitely wasn't running right and had no power. I'm gonna tear it down tonight and hope for the best.

It the piston/bore is trashed I might giving her my Aero's top end and get myself a polini.

If its damaged any more than that I may be looking for a replacement engine. Anyone got a running aero/elite engine for sale?
Last edited by Aero Fifty on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Re: Aero broke down

Post by monkeywrench »

reminds me of my friends chinese 2 stroke bike. the pump went and the cylinder was trashed.
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
Wheelman-111

Aero Checklist

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This behavior could be the result of a reed valve failure. Hope that's all it is.

I'd recommend you start with pulling and examining the spark plug. While it's out, perform a compression test with the $8.00 Harbor Freight gauge and look for numbers north of 100. If you have compression, put in a new plug on principle and try it out. If it runs well, stop rat thay-yer. You'll have spent about an hour and ~$15.

Otherwise, check the reed block next. If that's OK, hunt for an electrical Gremlin. MouseWheels' your man for that advice.

PS: This is a Technical Help post...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Aero Fifty

Post by Aero Fifty »

Thanks Wheelman I was thinking it might be bad reeds too. I'm gonna pick up a compression tester tonight and a new plug and see where that gets me.
Aero Fifty

Re: Aero broke down (update fixed!)

Post by Aero Fifty »

So last night I went out to the garage and took the Aero's side covers off expecting to get my hands dirty... Turns out the spark plug wire worked its way off the plug so I just pressed it back on.

Wow what a relief! But I did notice the plug wire doesn't grip the spark plug it just kinda sits on top. So I think I need a new wire or at least a new cap.

I actually enjoy working on these old 2-strokes and in the back of my mind a little upset that within 5 mins I had it up and running again :)
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Well at least you can put in that new SP and check the old one for mixture ring color :)
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

take this as a opportunity to get one of those "high performace" spark cables because they're all yellow and red and they look purty :lol:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

And those aftermarket ones provide 400x the electrical juice....which strangely corresponds to a 0% increase in power.
Sweet site with info on Honda's and tons of other scooters: http://www.MotorScooterGuide.net
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

You can replace the cap, it screws right off.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land