Front Rack for Spree..by ME!!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Front Rack for Spree..by ME!!

Post by martynkim »

Try to Fab a glove box pocket for the spree? :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

You talkin bout the thing on knee guard?
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Yeah.
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Pictures folks...got any?

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

I also got tired of looking for a rack , I found a kids bunk bed frame in a trash and thought it might work as a front rack ...
Attachments
I made it to fit a 12 pack of Coronas .I now need to mount a bottle opener on the side .
I made it to fit a 12 pack of Coronas .I now need to mount a bottle opener on the side .
100_5710.jpg (241.91 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Yes I know it looks goofy .
Yes I know it looks goofy .
100_5636.jpg (163.25 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
started to try to weld but the metal was so thin it was burning holes so I ended up just using rivits  which worked fine .
started to try to weld but the metal was so thin it was burning holes so I ended up just using rivits which worked fine .
100_5383.jpg (161.41 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Nice Rack. lol
:bump:

Taz
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

66SIX wrote:I also got tired of looking for a rack , I found a kids bunk bed frame in a trash and thought it might work as a front rack ...
Hi 66Six and Welcome!
Nice - You have a bunch of good pics spread all over. Will make a new thread for you in the builds section and collect your postings. Nice Gyro, mods, and I can see you are finding a lot of the reasons why folks come here and stay. I like that rack :thumbwink:

--
mustangwagz - Ok - so in the local area, I've tracked down a supplier of high pressure hydraulic line, but as you say need a bender up to the task. What's your advice on this Harbor Freight item ? $80 is itching to be spent tubing or not :lol:
[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-me ... 6.html/url]
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

mousewheels wrote:mustangwagz - Ok - so in the local area, I've tracked down a supplier of high pressure hydraulic line, but as you say need a bender up to the task. What's your advice on this Harbor Freight item ? $80 is itching to be spent tubing or not :lol:
[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-me ... 6.html/url]

Wow thats heavy duty! nice find. lol That would work but mine wasnt that big. lol mine was strictly hand held. That would deff work though, cuz i see it'll bend Round stock upto 1/2 inch. (and flat stock) Round stock is WAY WAY tougher than tubing. heavier as welll! Making alot of bends with that MIGHT get tough once ya start making numerous bends in different directions.

Bender i used was made by Parker Hydraulics. But that one you found should work just fine. Keep me up to date on what ya do...once ya do it..ill tell ya a trick to bending perfect 90's!! That'll keep ya from wasting EXPENSIVE tubing! lol THe roundstock might be a better idea though too..cheaper, easier to find, and stronger! although...dunno how it'll bend.. never bent roundstock.

05 vinson
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Thanks mustangwagz!
Points well taken about using round stock and keeping the rack down to simple bends. I searched on Parker Hydraulics, looks like nice equipment for pros. :thumbwink:

http://www.parker.com/literature/Litera ... /hb632.pdf
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARKER-412-COMPACT- ... pe_Benders
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Im sure the parker bender is quality but, WHOA! that price has me bent without even buying!
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

mousewheels wrote:Thanks mustangwagz!
Points well taken about using round stock and keeping the rack down to simple bends. I searched on Parker Hydraulics, looks like nice equipment for pros. :thumbwink:

http://www.parker.com/literature/Litera ... /hb632.pdf
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARKER-412-COMPACT- ... pe_Benders

Holy balls, thats overkill for what you want man! lol Unless your building 7million dollar machines like i do at work, you dun need that! LOL ours is WAY nicer, and newer and not so Amish, but i used a hand bender. lol Only time i use our electric bender is when i'm bendin 15mm or bigger tubing. makes things easier! lol Just gotta do that math to find the proper bend locations..

ya scrap a piece of say...42mm tubing, on the last bend, of a 16ft sections thats got 12 bends in it, and ppl tend to get *!! lol i SUCK at math, but after i learned how to do it, its easy. ALot of the ole timers at work wont touch it cuz 1. They hate new stuff and 2. i make it look easy so they give it to me! hahaha.

05 vinson
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Nice job fabricating and welding the racks
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

mustangwagz wrote:Holy balls, thats overkill for what you want man! lol Unless your building 7million dollar machines like i do at work, you dun need that! LOL ours is WAY nicer, and newer and not so Amish, but i used a hand bender. lol Only time i use our electric bender is when i'm bendin 15mm or bigger tubing. makes things easier! lol Just gotta do that math to find the proper bend locations..
:lol: :lol: Good advice! Thanks for posting your work, getting the bends correct is going to be a skills building goal for me.

Got started building with a small front rack for a commuter bicycle. I followed your advice and started with rod rather than tubing. Took the easy way and avoided doing multiple radius bends this time.
Attachments
BicycleFrontRack.JPG
BicycleFrontRack.JPG (95.5 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
mathew21
Noob
Noob

Post by mathew21 »

Nice Job!
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

NICE! Looks Good! Try redoing the top as a one piece unit...

hint:.. Ok..You make a ninety degree bend..and say you want your next ninety to be 6 inchs wide from the OUTSIDE of your first bend.. Take your tape measruing device, and go over 6 inches, BUT before you mark your tube, subtract tube diameter from the measurement. So, For example, lets say your using 1/2 inch tube. And from the outside of your first bend (along the strait part) mark 5-1/2 on your tube. That'll denote the INSIDE of your next bend, Thus, making your outside 6inch OD to OD.

now for the bending..most bender have degree's marked on the bending radius (or shoe as some prefer to call it) most are marked in 15 degree increments. Some start at 30, followed only by 45, 90, etc etc. Here's the tricky part. Besure your measurment mark is whole way around tube, strait as possible. (use tubing cutter to make a slight grove for reference marks only, also so marker doesnt wear off from the sweating hands.. haha but thats only a suggestion..) Now, take that mark and position it roughly half ways between the 45, and 90 on the bending shoe/radius..then Bend! This may take a few trys to find the sweet spot for making it perfectly perfect. Another way to align the mark is to flip bender upside down and alight the marker mark/lite cutter grove with the very outside edge of the channel in which the tube rides.. (d*** i wish i had pictures...ill see what i can do for pictures..i actually need to bend a brake line here at home so i may be doing this soon enough myself and can take pictures.) Anyhow, monkey with it for abit. you'll catch on soon enough! Its not hard, and once you get the hang of it...you'll be able to bend d*** near anything without cutting it apart! hardest thing i ever had to bend was 3inch exhaust..exhaust benders are about the easiest benders to use cuz your ALWAYS start at the center of the shoe rather than starting at the end and working your way in..but was the hardest cuz i had to wiggle it over and through a cars rear suspension setup.. (cars suck..hence...why i ride bikes and drive trucks!

anyhow, good job mr mouse. you've gotten a good start! Cant wait ot see whatelse you whip up! Once you get good..make some patio furniture..thast what i did with left overs at work. made a chair for our lunch break..aint to comfortable, but it serves its purpose..to sit my skinny white * down for a half hour and stuff my face! muhahaha!

The end..

05 vinson