89 Elite R - my first build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 89 Elite R - my first build

Post by tazland001 »

Looks good. I am just as excited to see the results. :naughty:

Taz
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Oh yeah. Hoping for the weekend depending if the variator is in, should be ordered it a few weeks ago.
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Did you get your variator

Wheres the updates
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Wairing for the vari, probably in the mailbox just caught up in the crhistmas rush. Once I get it it will be on like donkey kong
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

the VARI IS HERE!. Going to bolt that sucka on late tonight once im done work and ill snap some pics. then we see if the Elite will live again.....
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

:nervous:

Taz
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

So late last night I make my first attempt to install the vari, it barely fits :confused: . It touches only in one spot, to the left of it where the "thingy with the gears" used to start the bike.

So I break out mr file and shave that side down some, and now she fits like a glove. I have pictures but I forgot my BlackBerry home this morning. It took a lot of guess and check, I did not want to file too much off, as well did not want the pulley to scrape.

I hit the area with some compressed air, put the new belt on, some thread locker and got the impact gun to bolt it down. I did find it tricky, where the 2nd half is splined, and connects to the drive shaft lining it up with the belt there.

Once it was all locked down I had to test it out. Good thing I got my friend to bring 3.75 liters (1gallon) of supreme gas :naughty:

I mixed the gas 32:1 or 1:32 (where the 1 is the oil). After the first few attempts it did not want to fire up. It didn't sound unhealthy, just not picking up. I brought it back inside, and while attempting to start it to listen for anything unusual it fires up. I did not get an opportunity to drive it from the snow, but it now starts on the first try.

I still need to better set up the belt cover, the kick start does not spring back like it should, but that only minor adjustment at this point. It sounds amazing even though I only had it idling, and it is quite a bit louder. It has a real ping to the exhaust now, where before it had a BAWWW like a civic with a fart can.

I am stoked with the results thus far and will update with pics and videos as soon as I can get some dry land to test this beast out :geekdance: :coolcruise:

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Sometimes the kick start will not slap back into position. If you oil the gears in the kick start it will prob work better. Make sure to wipe off all excess oil because you dont want that on the belt or drive face/driven face.

Taz
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

tazland001 wrote:Sometimes the kick start will not slap back into position. If you oil the gears in the kick start it will prob work better. Make sure to wipe off all excess oil because you dont want that on the belt or drive face/driven face.

Taz
does wd40 count?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Big-toothed "dumb" gears like the kickstart assembly respond much better to thick, heat-resistant grease than to oil in my experience. First, make sure the holes in the aluminum cover aren't gouged out three sizes too big for the corresponding shafts. Disassemble completely, clean very well and do some measuring.

The thicker grease can sort of compensate for some wear in the parts dimensions, to a point. If the sizes are within a few microns of spec, slather liberally with High-Temp grease - the all-purpose stuff from any autoparts store is fine. Wipe off anything un-needed as Taz suggested, you really don't want any of this spinning off onto your belt and drive faces.

Grease all the meshing and sliding surfaces well, however. Even the retainer spring that holds the castle spindle has to slide back & forth on its aluminum tower. As you test it, keep a finger on the spindle to force the spiral gears to engage. If you let go of the kickstart lever and it doesn't spring back, grease some more. If you can't get it to work at all, it's probably because the cover holes have worn too big to keep the respective shafts aligned with their axes. A new or less-worn used cover is the best remedy in that case.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Just spray a little wd-40 were the two gears meet and work the lubrication in. If that does not work you will have to disassemble to clean and grease. Sometimes the gears wear out and get stripped because there is to much play. One place is where the starter gear seats on the kick starter case. The second place is the bush, kick spindle on the kick starter case. If you have stripped gears those the places to look.

Wheelman's suggestions are good also. :wink:

Taz
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

Here is the tight squeeze that the vari Had. Sorry i didn't get any pics of the filing that was done to make it fit:

pretty much where it looks like its touching I filed down.

I got 1 sucky video ill upload, its kind of Blair witch shaky, ill upload now so you can hear the kitty purr
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nicely done. Several people have told me the Ruck improves top speed - presuming adequate power - with no downside but the work to get it in.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

It wasn't too bad getting it in, Just a lot of guess and check. And my file I was using seen better days as well, but did the trick so I can't complain.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

For your viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCwdbBhX ... e=youtu.be

now I just stuck the * end of it out my basement door. this is the first time it ever ran post build.

The camera is all over the place, and I only gave a small shot on the throttle to hear the exhaust, otherwise just idling.