1986 Spree Rebuild into a Ducati 749 Replica - Finally done!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

two4one
Goped
Goped

1986 Spree Rebuild into a Ducati 749 Replica - Finally done!

Post by two4one »

First off, my name is Todd. I havenÔÇÖt posted but maybe one or two times. I have read and used a ton of info on this site when time has permitted but I havenÔÇÖt contributed a whole lot so here is my attempt to rectify the situation.

I acquired, free of charge, a 1986 Spree with 348 miles on the clock. It hadnÔÇÖt run in over 10 years according to the original owner. 15 minutes after I got it home it was running. Not well but running nonetheless. Once running I put in some fresh gas with SeaFoam, new oil and rigged up an air filter since the original disintegrated the minute I touched it. I also replaced the spark plug although it ran on the original one. I then had a well-running little machine after blowing it out around my small back streets a few times.

IÔÇÖve gotten into restoring things lately (more on that later). This scooter led me right to another project. I decided I was going to rebuild this thing to match my 2006 Ducati 749 which I use at the track. Pit bikes are a big hit so why not build a matching pit bike?

As of now the scoot is completely torn town. The frame, wheels and left side belt cover are in the process of being powder coated. Meanwhile I am doing the bodywork including fixing the cracks and doing the paint. The scoot will have white panels with black pin strips just like the 749 and also mesh in some strategic locations. I am also sand blasting other parts in order to repaint and/or polish them. The carb is sitting in BerrymanÔÇÖs just to be extra sure the carb is clean. Visual inspections showed it was spotless. The new plug indicated itÔÇÖs running rich. Another reason to clean it! Not surprised given the time it sat. After riding it for a bit the plug has shown signs of turning the beautiful tan color it should be but not all the way yet.

Overall I expect the new look to give the Spree a little more attitude. I am putting Michelin Starcross M2ÔÇÖs on it to help with that goal. IÔÇÖm still undecided about doing some carbon fiber accents. WeÔÇÖll see...

Given my recent restorations and the subsequent reactions to them, I have decided to take a dive into the restoration/motorcycle world. I designed a website which I just launched yesterday (still needs some work). I have all the pictures of the Spree on the site and will continue to update the site as the build progresses.

If this is at all tacky and inappropriate, feel free to remove the post. IÔÇÖm seriously not soliciting business just sharing what is most likely a unique Spree build. A 749 Spree is probably one of a kind. I have used all my project pages as ÔÇ£customerÔÇØ pages rather say ÔÇ£IÔÇØ did this or that. I might change that approach in the copy just to be clear about it.

Anyway, you can see the details of the Spree at http://www.motorcyclesymmetry.com/proje ... spree.html - I hope you find the idea interesting and can live with the Ducati as inspiration.

Thanks and you guys have built some awesome scoots! These things are waaay more fun than their size indicates.

Here's my Photoshop work to show you what the goal is:

Last edited by two4one on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Re: 1986 Spree Rebuild into a Ducati 749 Replica

Post by Majourlittle »

Bla bla bla...I want to see pictures of this Ducati!

ya know, so that we can see the comparison :smile: :smile:

Seriously, it looks good. Would be interested to hear if you have any plans for the scooter, other than a tune up and paint.
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

The Ducati is on the site but here it is anyway in action :coolcruise: .

I'm guessing you're talking about performance upgrades as "plans"? In all honesty, my personality is one that calls a spade a spade. I have zero interest...at this point...in messing with a 50cc motor to get a few more MPH out of it. I have other toys for a HP fix :peace:
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

You know what happens... The next thing you know, you are racing pit pikes and you just can't be outdone!

Look forward to some progress pictures. That D looks like a thrill.
ute
Spree
Spree

Post by ute »

Du Cat Ehhhh
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

ute wrote:Du Cat Ehhhh
Biggest POS I've ever owned!
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

Well the little Duc is back to the land of functioning machines. I got the motor installed and running great. There were a few initial hiccups but now she's purring much better than prior to the tear down. The carb cleaning and decarbonizing worked wonders.

Getting everything back together has taken time due to other projects but the original concept is pretty much spot on.

Here's a few update photos. I still have some polishing, painting and reassembly to do. The cold weather is putting a crimp on the painting process unfortunately.

iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

do you still want me to do some cabon fiber on that spree?

TJ
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

I would extend the white on the headset to under the headlights. This would visually be more accurate in mimicking the Ducati's colors. I am offering an artistic point of view/opinion and am not in any way telling you what to do, I am just trying to help out.

Whatever you choose to do will be just fine. =)
Last edited by Dio89Elite on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

TJ, yes I do. I haven't gotten around to sanding the signal housing(s) yet. They are scuffed up and need to be smoothed out first. Can you tell me what your turn around time is again?

I considered painting the other piece to match the headlight and front piece. I might do that. I have another set of plastic coming my way that I may experiment with a bit.
Breezy
Goped
Goped

Post by Breezy »

well it looks like you know what your doin, it looks better, cleaner and more shiny than the concept photo shop image :2thumbs: .
I also like your cafe racer concept on your website, I might do one next, or a Bobber.
Thanks for posting.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

two4one wrote:TJ, yes I do. I haven't gotten around to sanding the signal housing(s) yet. They are scuffed up and need to be smoothed out first. Can you tell me what your turn around time is again?

ok i was just wondering. i hadn't heard from you in awhile. glad things are going well w/ your bike.
turn around time is generaly 2 weeks.

TJ
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

Breezy wrote:well it looks like you know what your doin, it looks better, cleaner and more shiny than the concept photo shop image :2thumbs: .
I also like your cafe racer concept on your website, I might do one next, or a Bobber.
Thanks for posting.
Haha, thanks!

The cafe project has been continuously interrupted. I've got two pedal cars and two vintage Tonka trucks to restore believe it or not. Fun stuff!

Sorry for the delay TJ. Not my plan to delay stuff but that's what has been happening. I spoke to Mike last week to keep him up to date. It'll happen, just a matter of when.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

iceman77 wrote:Sorry for the delay TJ. Not my plan to delay stuff but that's what has been happening. I spoke to Mike last week to keep him up to date. It'll happen, just a matter of when.

no worries man. life happens. glad to see that the spree is coming out so good.

TJ
two4one
Goped
Goped

Post by two4one »

TJ, good news is I finally have the signal housings packed up and ready to ship. Bad news is they haven't been put in the mail yet! You should see them next week.

The poor Spree has suffered set back after set back. The weather has not been cooperating until this week so I could do some more paint work. Slowly but surely it's coming together.