89 Elite R - my first build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 89 Elite R - my first build

Post by paulpauly7 »

im running a 40 and a 97 on a almost exactly the same set up and it runs perfect and hits 55mph with 10:1 gears and a 3.00 by 10 tyre
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

89eliteR wrote:Had a good test run today. Got about a solid 30 minutes of driving. Using the 102 jet with about 1 and 1/2 turns for the adjust screw. It did bog out a little bit on the way home, which was a slight incline and the gas was getting low. I'm going to top it off and observe the performance some more. There's a new plug in it where I think I fowled the old one from runing it too rich. Overally works good besides the bogging at the end of the drive.
Please check the new spark plug and compare it to the plug chop chart. Stop guessing!
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... Plug_Chops
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

i now see why bear gets so agro with all these noobs .They cant follow simple instructions and they dont want to read before start building hot motors then they wonder why they cook there bores

no wonder theres a shortage on all the good parts noobies keep buying them and destroying them
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

bonesv wrote:
89eliteR wrote:Had a good test run today. Got about a solid 30 minutes of driving. Using the 102 jet with about 1 and 1/2 turns for the adjust screw. It did bog out a little bit on the way home, which was a slight incline and the gas was getting low. I'm going to top it off and observe the performance some more. There's a new plug in it where I think I fowled the old one from runing it too rich. Overally works good besides the bogging at the end of the drive.
Please check the new spark plug and compare it to the plug chop chart. Stop guessing!
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... Plug_Chops

Just did a plug chop and it seems to match the best listed in that chart. Now I didn't see any oil on the plug tho, which i did last time i did the test.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

paulpauly7 wrote:im running a 40 and a 97 on a almost exactly the same set up and it runs perfect and hits 55mph with 10:1 gears and a 3.00 by 10 tyre
Im currently using a 100 but do have a 97 and it did work really well with it, but I was paranoid it would be runing hot. Ill post a picture of my plug chop results as soon as photobucket stops taking a *
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

my rpm sits around 9500 when i WOT and my temps sit at 365 with WOT when cruiseing they sit a around 310
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

They are a bit darker brown than the pics show, but not close to black or anything.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Looks good on the plug chop. Did you want to get a temperature gauge?

Here is some from the U.S.- http://trailtech.net/computers.html

The tachometer, temp., and speedo are all in one on the Vapor.
The little TTO temp. gauge is very helpful, for a lot less money.
Thank you for posting back.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

89eliteR wrote:Howdy all.

Where we are getting great weather now I am looking to get the bike back on the road and get it safety inspected but I did notice a problem that will stop that from happening. My running light or low beam does not come on, only my high beam will work. could this be the bulb or some other electrical issue? I know the battery is not the best but I would still think once it is running it would come on. any ideas?
If you havent solved your head light problem I have an idea before you start hacking it up. Take a multi meter and test the lowbeam side for continuity. and check the high beam lowbeam switch contacts for corrosion. My spree headlight wouldn't work last month when I pulled it out of storage when we had that heat wave. All I had to do was undo the bolt that clamps the left handlegrip together and you can see the contacts for the dimmer switch I used special cleaner called Deoxit D5 that is for that kind of issue, but it's 18$ a can so a little brake clean or carb clean or contact cleaner or even WD-40 might clean it while you move the switch back and forth while you spray them down. or you can take the contacts out and scrub them down with fine sand paper. If the contacts are corroded I could always drop by with my can of deoxit and give them a spray, I'm always around Dartmouth and would love to lend a hand to a fellow board member. And I know what its like to get stuff MVI'd around here. My spree needs to be "Inspected" soon.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

patthesoundguy wrote:
89eliteR wrote:Howdy all.

Where we are getting great weather now I am looking to get the bike back on the road and get it safety inspected but I did notice a problem that will stop that from happening. My running light or low beam does not come on, only my high beam will work. could this be the bulb or some other electrical issue? I know the battery is not the best but I would still think once it is running it would come on. any ideas?
If you havent solved your head light problem I have an idea before you start hacking it up. Take a multi meter and test the lowbeam side for continuity. and check the high beam lowbeam switch contacts for corrosion. My spree headlight wouldn't work last month when I pulled it out of storage when we had that heat wave. All I had to do was undo the bolt that clamps the left handlegrip together and you can see the contacts for the dimmer switch I used special cleaner called Deoxit D5 that is for that kind of issue, but it's 18$ a can so a little brake clean or carb clean or contact cleaner or even WD-40 might clean it while you move the switch back and forth while you spray them down. or you can take the contacts out and scrub them down with fine sand paper. If the contacts are corroded I could always drop by with my can of deoxit and give them a spray, I'm always around Dartmouth and would love to lend a hand to a fellow board member. And I know what its like to get stuff MVI'd around here. My spree needs to be "Inspected" soon.
Thanks for the offer! Actually it just started working fine on its own (knock on wood). I got a spare headlight now as well but I keep this in mind if it happens again.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

That plug looks like it has seen some miles before you ran a plug chop. Try a fresh plug to get an accurate (current) reading
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

barely any on that plug, ddnt do much driving at all besides making sure it starts up prior to the chop,
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

So I got the thing safety inspected and and taking it for a cruse, again same behavior as before, about half throttle going a decent speed it just shuts off. Now I'm letting it sit for a bit to see if it fires back up again but I am stumped. I don't think its the lack of fuel, its got 100 jet and the carb is sent to 1 and 1/2 turns out. Any ideas? It almost seems like the high wind snuffed it out and it got too much air but don't think its the case.
89eliteR
Spree
Spree

Post by 89eliteR »

The elite will not start again after the last time it bogged out. The same spark plug seems to be black and oily. I am working on getting a compression test done, just need to hut the person down with the proper tools. I am going to check my jets again and make sure its tight. I think there is a vaccum leak around the intake as well, besides this anyone else have some ideas?