Aero Stretching and more.

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

smasher04
BMX
BMX

Aero Stretching and more.

Post by smasher04 »

This has been my daily driver for the last year and a half i picked her up with about 2200 miles on and now i'm at 12,000 miles. I have done the normal mods to her. Ruckus variator, up jetted, Met wheels, Elite front brake, 90/90 tires,87 kick starter gear, and a bit of rattle canning, and on my second engine.

Wanting something a bit better I have ordered a big bore, new exhuast, and some more fun parts.
Got one of my good friends to do a bit of welding.

slipped in a tube and welded a new engine hanger up.

I have a lot of work still to do.
will update as things change
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Aero Stretching and more.

Post by paulpauly7 »

from what i can see theres still a mount in there he has just moved the mounting point of the engine mount back
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
smasher04
BMX
BMX

Post by smasher04 »

Paul is correct the stock mount is in tacked.(intact) I just moved the hanger mount back. It may vibrate more because of the big bore.

Current plans include
Malossi Big bore
Leo v pipe
Custome side stand
Shorter stiffer front springs
Air ride rear. You can see the air piston in the pic from the rear.

Working out all the body issues and paint.
smasher04
BMX
BMX

Post by smasher04 »

It's below the front bushings on the 85. In 86/87 they changed it to a slip in to the frame design. If the way it's set up (stock 85 mount) I will change to the 87 mount I have. Every thing I have done was to preserve the stock setup even the angle of the shock is the same as stock. Just pushed to the rear.

When I get this done lets go for a ride and you can check my work.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

hurry up and continue this build! haha. im in the middle of stretching and slamming my aero as well, to use as a bar hopper this summer. Mine seems to be a little more simple than your build tho. going with an extended stock hanger mount, and cutting and rewelding the front shock mounts higher on the fork.
heres a mockup. this pick shows where full compression will be. actual ride height should be ~1/2" higher.

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i realize i just saw this, and am probably too late... dont bother welding the brackets up higher on the front forks.. the angle the small swing arms will be at exceed the usability of the springs. it will instantly bottom out when you sit on it. i welded them up 1.5" higher, and just got my new fork kit in the mail because of this.lol
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

[/quote]
vette76 wrote:i realize i just saw this, and am probably too late... dont bother welding the brackets up higher on the front forks.. the angle the small swing arms will be at exceed the usability of the springs. it will instantly bottom out when you sit on it. i welded them up 1.5" higher, and just got my new fork kit in the mail because of this.lol
vette, if im understanding you correctly, then i have already delt with this issue. the lowered aero in my pic is currently at the "bottom out" position because the shocks are unsprung. I did some measuring and mocking up and found if i move them up only 1", then i should still have a usable angle. it wont be a lot, and im assuming its going to feel like riding with solid forks, but it wont be my daily driver so im not worried. down the road im going to convert to a dd50 or met fork and try to run a front disk. its just not in the budget right now :thumbsup:
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

basically what happened was the angle the swing arms were at put much more pressure on the springs then what they were designed for. i should have had enough travel, but the springs just werent strong enough to hold it up.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

I definitely understand and agree with you. im hoping by only going an inch it wont be to stiff and tolerable for short cruises into town. i havnt had my fork apart in a while but if i recall i think you can put some washers on one end of the spring to get the spring to stiffen up a touch. either way ill update when i get the fork on the aero.
BTW vette, what model's fork were you lowering??
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

Kevinstonge wrote:I definitely understand and agree with you. im hoping by only going an inch it wont be to stiff and tolerable for short cruises into town. i havnt had my fork apart in a while but if i recall i think you can put some washers on one end of the spring to get the spring to stiffen up a touch. either way ill update when i get the fork on the aero.
BTW vette, what model's fork were you lowering??

sa-50. oh, and watch the speedo cable. the tire will rub it to death.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

vette76 wrote:

sa-50. oh, and watch the speedo cable. the tire will rub it to death.
thought about this as well and hopefully wont have any issues with either cable.

do you have any pics of the low sa-50??
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i will look when i get home from work. (is as low as your pic when sitting on the bike, and maybe 3/4" higher with no weight on it. lol.) i weigh about 175. speedo cable problem looks easy enough, just pull it out of the stem, and run it up with the brake cable.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

vette76 wrote:. speedo cable problem looks easy enough, just pull it out of the stem, and run it up with the brake cable.

Exactly my plan. Only other issue i may have is the tire rubbing the fender when bottomed out, but when measuring it looked like I'll be fine if I only lower it 1".
smasher04
BMX
BMX

Post by smasher04 »

havent spent a lot of time on her in the last few months. Figured i should get to it as spring is hear.
Got the fame all cleaned up an painted

Big bore in, pipe on, she looks low but thats as low as she goes 2" air up from this point.

deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Looks great man, thanks for sharing.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator