Found Craigslist treasure!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Found Craigslist treasure!

Post by paulpauly7 »

them pipes are available for the se50 AF05E and the af18/af16 and sell for around 5000 to 10000 yen so they arnt that expensive not including shipping
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

where do you buy them though? Personally I dont care what it sells for because I plan on keeping it.

I got an old 3.50 x10 tire from a buddy of mine that owns a scooter shop...i'm going to try it to see if it fits on the rear. A few weeks ago I won a "best modern" scooter award at a scooter rally, which also included $100 gift cert for a vespa scooter website.. they dont have much I can use but it would at least buy me 2 new tires ( assuming 3.50 x10s fit) so that would be awesome. i'll probably do a bit more work tonight... more pics to come
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

you get them out of japan mostly from yahoo auctions japan or if you know someone there theres even more parts at the hundreds of bike wreckers there
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

Did a LOT of stuff today! I'll be bringing the pictures in about 3 hours when the sun goes down and I cant work on the RR anymore
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

OK! so here it is at the end of the day today..

basically I cleaned EVERYTHING (down to each individual wire) and started re-assembling the scooter. The rear shock is off of a 125elite (I had to switch the bushing with an aero one on the top because the elite's is smaller) I still need to get an oil line, fuel line ( the elite shock made the engine sit a bit farther away so the OEM one doesn't reach) the clutch bell has some deep grooves inside of it so that will have to be replaced. I have pretty much everything I need for the variator side...new weights, new drive belt. I've cleaned the clutch/variator cover up nice so it's ready to go back on when I finish. The air filter is a 1" UNI that I found at cycle gear. I think I need to get one with a bend in the attachment (maybe 45 deg would be good) because it touches the larger spring.

I used a polishing compound to see how well i could get the OEM paint to look I think most of it is going to be pretty good. Maybe one day down the road i'll pull the plastics off again and have them re-painted.

Anyway, that's about it. Thanks for looking!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Looking good so far! Keep it up, been following this every step of the way
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

so even though I had to borrow the clutch/variator from my aero 50 motor, and a random line to get fuel to the engine..IT'S ALIVE! ( I just had to ride it today!) the fuel bowl on the carb had a bad packing so I used hondabond to make a temp one. other then the things mentioned It's pretty much ready to ride.

I put the front fairings back on the bike i'll leave the rear ones off until I get the motor all back together.

I also decided to try and give the front a good buff and wax. it's not perfect but pretty good if you ask me

so far pretty happy with everything.

refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

some updates. I got this thing insured and tagged today. It cost me $15 for the full year of Insurance! haha having a few questions though...

The bike doesnt have a battery in it, when the bike is running from a kickstart the headlights are pretty dim. I noticed if I take the 7A fuse out the headlights are the normal brightness.
Also my turn signals dont flash on and off if I push the switch it blinks once but that is it. I dont think it's a wiring Issue because I double checked all the connections and it seems good but there is a chance I made a mistake. ( i wish i knew more about wiring!) I guess the questions are...

1. why are the lights dim with the fuse installed ?

2.Is a battery required for the turn signals to work or am I missing something?

I noticed when I was cleaning the carb the bike had a #90 jet in it does that sound right? Today I also tried to adjust my air screw turned out 1 and 3/4 turns out as indicated in the ELITE service manual. should I turn it out more because of the chambered exhaust/jet difference from the elite? where can I find an RPM meter to adjust the idle screw?

other then those few things it seems to be running good, feels a bit slower with the aero variator and clutch then it did with the AF18 ones. i think it's because the ramps are shorter . I think i'll drive it to work tomorrow...maybe not not sure yet! i'm ordering a better intake with the dual reed cages, some oem mirrors, new brake levers, and a "high speed" variator from japan.. i'll post more about those when they arrive. may also be getting a better rear shock and some new tires ( I had to borrow rims off my wife's metropolitan so i kind-of need to get new rims too!)
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

rode the scoot about 14 KM today it's sluggish with that aero variator on it.. not quite sure if i got air screw turned out properly it rides better full throttle then trying to go any particular speed.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

got my package from japan today! 6 days is probably the fastest i've ever recieved anything from there

the dual reed needs a different carb or some fab to work with the stock carb, but i have more items planned

black round mirrors to keep it OEM, new brakes, and brake lever moustache.

keep you posted with the difference they all make, but it's raining today so...
Last edited by refl3x on Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

So it stopped raining and the sun came out...love the new parts! (basically the variator/weights and the new clutch springs.) I also installed the new brakes. much smoother stopping now. the aero variator sucks compared to the new one it accelerates well to about 30 the last ten takes a bit (it wouldn't even do that with the oem aero one) I rode a good amount but until i get a CHT gauge i've been going by a temperature sticker put on the exhaust pipe, i figured as long as i keep that pipe under 120C the head should be fine ( pretty sure the exhaust gets hotter then the head... right?......right?) forgot to take a picture of them but i also got a velocity stack and a jet set. again I will wait for the CHT for those.

I was reading an old honda brochure

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Brochu ... es1989.pdf

noticed the front rack looked a lot like the one that was on my Aero 50 well... it is, so i put it on! kind of neat, maybe i'll us it to transport like ...dunno a book?

here is how it looks. you'll have to forgive the awful picture, it was taken with my IPhone...
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Do you plan on repainting the panels? Some scuffs on the front panel, would look really nice with a new paintjob maybe
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The rack does look cool. A book?! You could strap your Tuba on there. Amazing that the mounting points are the same.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

bfowler wrote:Do you plan on repainting the panels? Some scuffs on the front panel, would look really nice with a new paintjob maybe
if things go well i plan to do a big bore kit to around 70+cc then repaint/fix the plastics. then i will recreate and print the graphics at the vinyl wrap shop i work at. so the bike should not only be a blast to ride, but look as it did in '89 when it left the showroom in Japan!
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The rack does look cool. A book?! You could strap your Tuba on there. Amazing that the mounting points are the same.
The brochure i posted the link to mentioned a few books, briefcase, or other small lightweight items, as what you could carry with the rack.. it was sort-of a joke. i was thinking a spare tire would be pretty cool
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yahoo auctions japan has oil pumps rebuilt to pump 1.6 times more oil than stock that woul go great with a bore kit (no premixing)
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1