Spree-oh-five - chevyguyjay style

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Spree-oh-five - chevyguyjay style

Post by devenex »

I recently finished rebuilding a motor off an '85 Aero 50 and started work to swap it onto my spree this past weekend. I managed to get a hold of a RD34 shock mount awhile back, and was also the tester for his sidestand prototype. I replaced the leg on the prototype with a longer one I bought off the net that also has a tab to make it easier to push out/in.

Additionally I'm going old school with the motor mounting and doing it the way a user by the name of chevyguyjay did way back when (first user I saw with a af05 swapped spree on these boards). This involves reusing the spree mount by installing it where the centerstand would mount and using...wait for it... old rollers as spacers to make the narrower end span the mounting points of the motor.

So far I have removed the stock motor, installed the shock mount and kickstand, and replaced the throttle cable and rear brake cable. I also installed the spree mount onto the 'new' motor using the rollers as spacers, which amazingly gave a perfect fit (nice and tight with no play).

Now for some pics I snapped tonight, nothing too special.

Out with the old spree motor:

In with the rebuilt Aero motor:

A quick shot of the installed RD34 shock mount:

And lastly a few pics of the spree mount on the motor w/ spacers:

1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Spree-oh-five - chevyguyjay style

Post by swimmingfree »

looking good so for ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree its lookin good :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Got some more work done yesterday as I mounted the motor and hooked up almost everything. I actually would have finished but a few parts turned up missing (pretty sure I scavenged them for the motor swap on the Aero) and the rear wasn't found to be nearly seized. Currently its way too difficult to move the lever (can't do it by hand, requires pliers for more leverage), so obviously that needs to be addressed. Hopefully some penetrating oil is all it will take, but we'll see.

Another problem I need to address the problem of the unifilter juuuust rubbing the rear shock, but I have an idea what to do there.

Also should mention this since it caught me off guard; the motor's wiring fit the sprees loom with no alterations. I plugged everything in with no modifications as the connectors on the new motor were identical to the '86 spree motor. Is the '85 Aero 50 the only motor that does that, or does it extend to other af05's as well?

And lastly some more pics:

Testing out the sidestand and checking wheel to shock clearance (was fine):

Close-up of sidestand (forgot to take a pic of this last time):

Unifilter touching shock:

devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

OK, so today I got anxious and decided to pull the motor out of my aero and recover the scavenged parts (it needed to be pulled to have some work done anyway...just was planning on doing it this winter :?).

So I got the motor on and running! Did a heat cycle during a break in the rain, but haven't tried really giving any throttle yet. Also, in a weird turn of events the throttle cable was too short for the aero's carb, even though they were both on it together in the first place. So after a few kicks it fired up, then ripped out of my hands in went into the grass :oops:. At first I thought I'd forgot to back out the air screw or put the slider in wrong, but I in fact did all that. For whatever reason this carb has a longer neck than the af16 carb, so I swapped that over too and voila! Another problem solved. It also offsets the air filter enough to keep it off the rear shock, so double bonus!

I also did a "pepsi mod" on the unifilter (chopped up 20oz bottle body wrapped around outside) to restrict things a little more, and I think its helping as the 88 sounds like it might be a little too rich. This is stage 1 of the mod, with the goal of having the final iteration enabling riding in the rain by keeping water off the foam.

Heres a pic of the motor with the restricted air filter after I pulled it in from heat cycling:

And heres a closeup showing the new gap between the shock and air filter:
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

OK, time for another update.

So I've been able to successfully heat cycle several times. I can get a nice idle by adjusting the air screw with either the #85 or #88 jet (obvious since the main jet has a negligible contribution at closed throttle).

My main two problems are when I have open throttle it struggles to get up to speed and also when I let off after giving it WOT it seems to get stuck in a higher idle (and will continue to coast w/ enough RPMs to keep the clutch from disengaging).

I'm not sure if I'm too rich or too lean at WOT, but the #85 seems to perform better than the #88. I plan to toy with clip settings to see what it does for the high idle off WOT, but am open to any suggestions on what to do there.

I also would be very happy if someone knows a place to get a jet kit. I think it would prove very helpful at this point.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

devenex wrote:OK, time for another update.

So I've been able to successfully heat cycle several times. I can get a nice idle by adjusting the air screw with either the #85 or #88 jet (obvious since the main jet has a negligible contribution at closed throttle).

My main two problems are when I have open throttle it struggles to get up to speed and also when I let off after giving it WOT it seems to get stuck in a higher idle (and will continue to coast w/ enough RPMs to keep the clutch from disengaging).

I'm not sure if I'm too rich or too lean at WOT, but the #85 seems to perform better than the #88. I plan to toy with clip settings to see what it does for the high idle off WOT, but am open to any suggestions on what to do there.

I also would be very happy if someone knows a place to get a jet kit. I think it would prove very helpful at this point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTONA-JET-PAC ... 14&vxp=mtr
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

OK, I've been tinkering with this project on and off and think I've got my problems sorted out. First, for whatever reason the throttle cable doesn't have enough length to let the throttle close all the way. After verifying some measurements with another forum member I have a proper one on the way.

The next problem has been finding jets bigger than #88. Daywot said the jet kits were on back order and did not elaborate when he might be able to get some, so it would seem that my only option is to tune the airflow to the jetting (gonna aim for #85, so I can go up/down at least one size if needed later). To do this I'll be ditching the foam uni for a metal style filter that can be easily restricted with tape, as has been done by other members previously. As a bonus it appears to be smaller than the foam filter I have, so I shouldn't need to worry about clearance with the shock and/or plastics anymore.

Now I just have to wait for these parts to come in and I should finally be able to ride this puppy around in the nice weather. :rock:
Adventurecrow
Noob
Noob

Post by Adventurecrow »

Until next week when it rains again :) gotta love the nw ;)