Honda Aero nb50 to nh125 Swap Project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: Honda Aero nb50 to nh125 Swap Project

Post by Tyler VR »

I switched out exhaust from my spree nh125 to the aero, it scrapes the pavement when making sharp right hand turns because the spree sits a little lower. It shouldn't be a problem on the aero and the blue silencer even matches, I guess that means I'll have to make a new exhaust for the spree.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Had a little issue getting the exhaust flange sealed so I ordered a new gasket and this is what they sent me, it's less than half the thickness of a honda brand gasket. I sent this comparison pic and tried to explain it to the seller, all they said was "The gaskets seals on contact and does not have to compress like the OEM."

PSA: Do not buy gaskets from ebay seller: jaquishmotorsports , he list honda part numbers but sells aftermarket garbage gaskets.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Tyler VR wrote: it scrapes the pavement when making sharp right hand turns because the spree sits a little lower]
try using shock extensions to raise up the rear of the bike. I had the same problem on my Spree when I was trying different exhausts. Scraped the ground in full lean doing 30 and nearly dumped it....it was a pucker moment.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Meatball wrote:
Tyler VR wrote: it scrapes the pavement when making sharp right hand turns because the spree sits a little lower]
try using shock extensions to raise up the rear of the bike. I had the same problem on my Spree when I was trying different exhausts. Scraped the ground in full lean doing 30 and nearly dumped it....it was a pucker moment.
Dumping it because of my pipe scraping is my worst fear. I had to take every right turn wider and not lean, pretty much changed my riding style.

But I was thinking about upgrading the rear shocks, the spree rides pretty rough. Maybe because it has two shocks on a scooter designed for one. With my aero project I'm more concerned about ride quality and I could also use another inch clearance between the license plate mount and rear tire. So maybe I'll start looking at some gas shocks that are a little longer.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Upgrading to a metro front rim with a elite brake hub. The wheel uses a bigger 90/90 tire and the brake is also bigger.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Comparison:

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Installed:

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Purchased some tune up parts: belt, rollers, spark plug, brake pads and a spare variator that I cleaned the grease out.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Taking apart the drive face, It's over a 30 year old engine and this might be the first time it's been serviced. The belt was pretty cracked, pulleys a little grooved, clutch pads look a little low.

I've been thinking about upgrading the variator and clutch but nobody makes performance parts for the nh125. I've done thing in the past like lighter rollers, lightened the clutch bell, using jog clutch springs. But I would like to do more to improve performance. I've taken a few measurements with my dial caliper and I might take a gamble on running a performance variator and clutch off a different model engine...

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

New tires arrived on my doorstep, 90/90 for the front metro rim and 10-3.5 for the nh125 rear rim.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Tyler VR wrote:New tires arrived on my doorstep
No matter if youre haulin azz on a modded scoot or walking through the Red Light District....its good to have fresh rubbers. :smile:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Meatball wrote:
Tyler VR wrote:New tires arrived on my doorstep
No matter if youre haulin azz on a modded scoot or walking through the Red Light District....its good to have fresh rubbers. :smile:
Safety first.. :lol:
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Here's my homemade air filler rig to pop the tire bead on the rim. Just a chromy valve stem cap I tapped a fitting into with a switch, that way I can fill without a valve stem core. I had this spare nh125 rim that I hammered out a dent on the lip, sandblasted and primed.

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Tyler VR wrote:Here's my homemade air filler rig to pop the tire bead on the rim. Just a chromy valve stem cap I tapped a fitting into with a switch, that way I can fill without a valve stem core. I had this spare nh125 rim that I hammered out a dent on the lip, sandblasted and primed.

Those rims look so Mazda.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

MrJumps wrote: Those rims look so Mazda.
Definitely has that 1980's vibe... :)