Spree Engine Swap: Honda Elite CH80 onto Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree Engine Swap: Honda Elite CH80 onto Spree

Post by Tyler VR »

Got the cylinder head off.

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

I love this thread keep up with the pics .Great work
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Lots of carbon buildup on the piston and combustion chamber. A few light scrapes on the cylinder walls, I'm hoping to get away with a hone job and a new set of rings. This was a good running engine with around 6k on it but I might as well replace a few parts while I have it taken apart. Everything will need some clean up work for a closer inspection before I start porting.

ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Very nice build. great photos. :2thumbs:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Cleaned up the cylinder head, everything looks good.

Before I open up the intake and exhaust ports I'm planning on having the combustion chamber "dead space" filled with weld. Just the area across from the spark plug, it's been done on ruckus engines and car cylinder heads. The stock compression of the ch80 is 9.3:1 according to the service manual. This mod should raise the compression and make the combustion chamber more efficient. I've also been looking into other combustion chamber mods like the Somender Singh grooves that could improve performance.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

My brother is doing the fill weld for me, he's a pretty good TIG welder. I bolted the old head gasket on and set the valves in place to protect the surfaces and valve seats. Heating it up first with a torch makes the weld penetrate easier and burns off any impurities.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Midway through welding, a little issue with the TIG arc jumping to the valves. Looks like I'm going to need new valves but I'm glad the seats are fine.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Welding is done, went just up to the dome ridge. I've seen people weld higher up to the gasket surface and then have the head resurfaced, but I'm not going that far.

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Did some grinding, it will need a bit more work. I'll probably do the somender singh grooves too.

lacedgod
Noob
Noob

Post by lacedgod »

im afraid of what my engine looks like, never had a filter since i couldnt get it go fast with one on, rode for 3-4 months straight backfiring everytime i let off the gas and somehow i was riding it with no oil. once i get a job im getting a rebuild kit and might try some of the things you posted or buy another ch80 and do it so i still have a running engine if it breaks
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

lacedgod wrote:im afraid of what my engine looks like, never had a filter since i couldnt get it go fast with one on, rode for 3-4 months straight backfiring everytime i let off the gas and somehow i was riding it with no oil. once i get a job im getting a rebuild kit and might try some of the things you posted or buy another ch80 and do it so i still have a running engine if it breaks
With no oil you're lucky it still runs, these ch80 engines must be bulletproof. You should be able to find a spare engine or parts bike, keep a eye out on craigslist.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Here's the exhaust port before and after opening it up.

lacedgod
Noob
Noob

Post by lacedgod »

yea i know. up here its hard to find a elite 80 on craigslist. luckly i know a few people that are all about elite 80s but i think il have better luck finding a engine on ebay. i even went 10 miles without a fan since the fan and shroud exploded while i was doing 47 now im stuck using a fan off a 2 stroke and whats left of the shroud.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

lacedgod wrote:yea i know. up here its hard to find a elite 80 on craigslist. luckly i know a few people that are all about elite 80s but i think il have better luck finding a engine on ebay. i even went 10 miles without a fan since the fan and shroud exploded while i was doing 47 now im stuck using a fan off a 2 stroke and whats left of the shroud.
If you could make the trip near Portland there's a guy with a bunch of ch80 parts at reasonable prices. I've bought one of my spare engines for $100, nearly complete too. He has a test stand made from a elite frame so he was able to show me it runs. He advertises on craigslist like once a week, here's the link:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4281785227.html
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Here's my cheap porting tools, I use a lot of different bits.